New Task Force to Study Nanotech Implications

  • Mike Treder
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 19, 2005
      CRN Announces Formation of New Task Force to Study Societal
      Implications

      Today the Center for Responsible Nanotechnology (CRN) announced the
      charter members of a new Task Force convened to study the societal
      implications of this rapidly emerging technology. Bringing together
      a diverse group of world-class experts from multiple disciplines,
      CRN will begin a historic, collaborative effort to develop
      comprehensive policy recommendations for the safe and responsible
      use of molecular manufacturing.

      Nanotechnology is the projected ability to make things from the
      bottom up, using techniques and tools that are being developed today
      to place every atom and molecule in a desired place. When this form
      of molecular engineering is achieved, it will result in a
      manufacturing revolution — with more promise for society than the
      computer revolution, but with potentially serious economic, social,
      environmental, and military implications.

      Mike Treder, Executive Director of CRN, made the following statement:

      "Progress toward developing the technical requirements for desktop
      molecular manufacturing is moving faster than it was when we founded
      CRN two years ago. The recent announcement of a Technology Roadmap
      for Productive Nanosystems, to be organized by the Battelle research
      organization and the Foresight Nanotech Institute, has highlighted
      the urgent need for parallel policy discussions at the highest
      levels. We must not allow efforts to effectively prepare for the
      impacts of nanotechnology to lag behind advances on the technical
      side.

      "All of our research to date shows that molecular manufacturing will
      have a transformative impact on our society, industry, the
      environment, and geopolitics. Without adequate preparation and
      study, the effects could be dangerously disruptive.

      "CRN is honored today to announce the charter members who will head
      the important work of the Task Force. They share our vision that it
      is critical to begin this dialogue and to include people with
      expertise and worldviews spanning the globe. In addition, we are
      proud to have both the Society of Manufacturing Engineers and the
      Society of Police Futurists International as organizational
      participants."

      Charter members of the Task Force include:

      · Nick Bostrom, Ph.D. -- Director, Future of Humanity Institute,
      Oxford University
      · David Brin -- Author, The Transparent Society
      · Jerome C. Glenn -- Millennium Project, American Council for the
      United Nations University
      · Ray Kurzweil -- Founder and CEO, Kurzweil Technologies, Inc.

      Treder continued, "We look forward to working together with all
      these leaders in their respective fields to establish a factual
      foundation for advanced nanotechnology; identify potential problems
      arising from the technology and its administration; design
      recommendation for global solutions; plan and strategize the
      implementation of the solutions; and communicate our findings to
      where they need to be heard.

      "Without mutual understanding and cooperation in making policy, the
      hazardous potentials of advanced nanotechnology could spiral out of
      control and deny any hope of realizing the benefits to society. The
      CRN Task Force, led by this talented group of charter members, is
      poised to begin this important work."

      The Center for Responsible Nanotechnology (http://CRNano.org) is a
      non-profit research and advocacy organization concerned with the
      major societal and environmental implications of advanced
      nanotechnology. CRN promotes public awareness and education, and the
      crafting of effective policy to maximize benefits and reduce
      dangers. Headquartered in New York, CRN is an affiliate of World
      Care, an international, non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization.

      RELEASE ONLINE: http://www.crnano.org/PR-charter.htm
    • Xpose-It
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 19, 2005
        Keep me updated about the task force. I think society should go slow on building nanoassemblers that self assemble themselves. They are potentially the biggest danger to the survivial of the human race. Nano assemblers that are like factories that make nanointegrated circuitry but that do not do not reproduce themselves are safe for us.
        I discussed that in an interview published by NanoInvestor's News the link is on the home page of and the NANOTECHNOLOGY page of http://vulvoxnanobio.tripod.com
        click the link that says"interview with Neil Farbstein"
[...]

        http://www.nanoindustries.com
        Nanotechnology: solutions for the future.

        Nanotechnology company Nanotechnology investing Science education