Patents On Nanotechnology

  • aleconstantine
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2005
      The ETC Group (the Action Group on Erosion, Technology and
      Concentration) has released a report warning of the dangers of
      patenting nanotechnology, which I blogged about (http://themindtrap.
      typepad.com/mindtrap/2005/07/etcs_report_on_.html)
      While I agree that patents are necessary to protect true innovation,
      the ETC Group claims that "breathtakingly broad nanotech patents have
      been granted that cut across multiple industry sectors and include
      sweeping claims on entire areas of the Periodic Table"...which seems a
      little dodgy.
      I don't know enough about the technical side of nanotechnology to have
      a grasp on what sort of things need or deserve patents, and whether
      patenting is getting out of control. I'd appreciate any comments from
      anyone working in the industry, their perspective or experience in the
      area.
      Original article: http://nanotechwire.com/news.asp?nid=2100
      ETC report: http://www.etcgroup.org/documents/ETC_IPnanotech_final.pdf