Something to consider...

  • Christopher Wilson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2005
      This may seem a little off topic but I can assure you that it is
      not. I just reciently saw the movie, Ghost in the Shell 2,
      Innosence by Matsume Shiro. The movie is a masterpice to be sure
      and Shiro is haled as a gensius by many. This movie is relevent
      because it shows the possible conciquences of our current scientic
      endeavors. The movie was very deep and though provoking. I would
      consider it required "reading" in any corse on advanced modern
      philosophy (especially as it relates to humanity). Just thought I'd
      share.

      Best Regards,
    • jacksonportraits@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2005
        In a message dated 1/29/2005 7:48:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        ryoga227@... writes:

        > Ghost in the Shell 2,
        > Innocence by Matsume Shiro.

        Thank you for the recommendation. FYI, I could not find this movie playing in
        any theaters in NY or CT. The DVD is out already, and I have ordered one. I
        expect animation can go where cameras cannot...

        Jeanine C. Jackson
        Fine Art Portraits and Landcapes
        www.JeanineJackson.com

      • Jean ROCH
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 30, 2005
          GITS Innocence is an excellent movie, but like most of Shirow's work's of
          late, it's quite cryptic and requires knowledge of the prior work of the
          author (especiall, the first movie, obviously). It helps both with
          understanding the characters AND the context.

          Nanotech in japanese pop culture is quite present (it is, after all, an old
          concept for sci-fi writers).

          In particular, if you have the chance, read Bubblegum Crisis, which depicts
          a possible consequence of using nanomachines in the brain (neurophages).

          Jean

          http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/