Re: [nanotech] Re: Perhaps someone could help me with this...

  • KAZ
    Message 1 of 65 , Dec 7, 2004
      --- Roderick Mc Carthy <lifestation2004@...> wrote:

      > if the nanobacteria were to be homed on a membrane which was used as the
      > surface for an oject or garmont/ panel, would they still be able to
      > generate and regenarate a 'coral like' shell coating/?

      I don't know whether they're thought to regenerate it. I suspect that their
      life-cycle is much simpler than we envision even for bacteria. The Mayo
      results, if I recall correctly, essentially said that the only opening in the
      "coral" structure was against the petri dish glass itself. Perhaps by the
      time it's completed, they are simply sealed in and die.

      > what environment requirementxs do they have at this time?

      It sounds to me like a very simple subset of the requirements of other single
      cell life.

      > can they be removed from living systems where they present a nuisance or
      > pollutive presence? if so how?

      It sounds like they almost certainly can. First of all, they contain
      proteins, which means they are probably vulnerable to various immune system
      functions which target specific proteins. I believe I saw some results where
      part of the verification of their lifeworthiness was that they seemed to grow
      less when exposed to some agent which is also known to retard the growth of
      some bacteria.

      Being organic life forms of /some/ kind, of course there must be conditions
      which encourage or retard their activity.

      > could they be 'trained' to find weak points in calciate structures, like
      > bones and coral, and repaire them.. bone repaire is preferal to
      > un-quanitified oceanic releases (precautionary principles)?

      Well, I think the real question is whether they could be "trained" with the
      anything like technology we have today. Of course they CAN be trained, in the
      sense that with enough technology you can accomplish pretty much anything
      which could ever occur "naturally".

      Setting aside the fact that anything humans do is, of course, really a part
      of nature, too.

      It seems likely that, if nanobacteria are pivotal to the calcification of
      teeth, then there must be cues which tell them where and when to act/live.
      These can probably be replicated or exploited to cause them to calcify (or
      otherwise help) where we wish.

      =====
      Liberty will not descend to a people; a people must raise themselves to
      liberty; it is a blessing that must be earned before it can be
      enjoyed. --Charles Colton

      AIM/Yahoo/AOL Instant Messenger: KazVorpal
      ICQ#: 1912557 MSN Messenger: KazVorpal@...
    • Roderick Mc Carthy
      Message 65 of 65 , Dec 29, 2004
        and soldiers should die because tony blair is a crap
        leader...

        i am sorry KAZ but i do not agree.. we learn because
        we can. we design for th task, we evolve not destroy..
        survival is the end game for production, betterment
        such for study..

        u always jump to say i am anti-tech etc.. i am one of
        nanos best / better allies.. we dont want gm trees, we
        dont need them,,, there are plenty of reasons, mostly
        concerning pure science/ best practice and integrity
        within th natural world..

        i am suprised to find pro-gm tree support on a nano
        list, cos i thought it meant you were clever and
        future designery types, not a bunch of rank closing
        sales b***h**.. gm crops lose money and damage th
        env.. is that good for science? commercial or pure?

        wake up KAZ.. there is a beautiful future of
        potential.. we can also lose everything much easier
        than you seem to think..
        > Support our troops: Get them out of Iraq

        support our troops! bring them home now!

        arrest bush and blair! try them for war crimes!