Nanotech Milling Machines

  • Herbert Murray
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2004
      Here is an article that discusses using AFMs as nanotech milling
      machines. I wonder what other group members thought about this idea?

      http://www.pratt.duke.edu/Newsletter/Issue17/story65.html

      Thanks,
      Bert
    • Mark Gubrud
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 29, 2004
        It sounds very easy but actually it's not. This article talks about
        building more stable and repeatable AFM heads. I don't think you're
        going to use the AFM like an actual milling machine, i.e. scraping off
        bits of material to make a part. The article talks about dip-pen
        nanolithography but then if you imagine building up 3D or large 2D
        structures you have to explain how the dip pens are kept properly
        'inked'; I don't think you get exact molecular order this way and I
        think it would be very hard to make the jump using this technique.
        However, it is a useful technique in the lab and it can certainly
        be further developed and improved.

        Herbert Murray wrote:

        > Here is an article that discusses using AFMs as nanotech milling
        > machines. I wonder what other group members thought about this idea?
        >
        > http://www.pratt.duke.edu/Newsletter/Issue17/story65.html
      • A.C.
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
          I originally read the subject as "Nanotech Killing
          Machines", and became a little confused when I read
          the article...

          Anyway, this sounds like a good technique for certain
          applications. One of the benefits (and challenges) of
          nanotechnology is that the physical properties of
          substances change on the nanoscale, and researchers
          are trying to build precise nanostructures to take
          advantage of this. As has been pointed out, I think,
          that doesn't seem possible with this technique.

          However it does seem to be useful for creating
          extremely small structures where precise atomic
          alignment is not necessary.