Re: [nanotech] Carbon Bond

  • Bogdan Butnaru
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
      On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 15:14:32 -0700 (PDT), "E M"
      <seventh_sky_2000@...> said:
      > Hey my dear fellow nano-lovers!!!.....I'm working on nanotubes for my
      > M.A.Sc (Electrical Eng.) thesis but I have a basic fundemental
      > question..........Why is carbon the ONLY element to link in long
      > chains?,,

      Well, there are only a few elements that can take part in four stable
      covalent bonds with themselves: those in the 14th group.

      It is my understanding that because C is the smallest, it's links to
      itself are very stable; it is also in a sweet-spot with regards to
      reactivity: all elements around it in the periodic table (there aren't
      that many) are either too happy to give or too eager to receive
      electrons (electropositive or electronegative) so they tend to mix
      instead of co-linking with themselves.

      You should note that this applies mostly to chains, because they react
      (and break) easily. Cristals (monomolecular, diamond-like) are somewhat
      more common - Si can form macroscopic monomolecular cristals, for
      example - but they are not usualy very strong. I believe N and B can
      joinly create a diamond-like cristal that is actualy very strong (not
      sure, but may be stronger than diamond).
      --
      Bogdan Butnaru
      bogdanb@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
        One answer to your question is that carbon is quite stable. Also, it is easly manipulated, cheap, and plentifull. There is also a great deal of mistique about this element. Imagine if we could control its crystaline structure more easly. Cabon can be anything from graphite in pencils to diamonds in a jewlery shop. And that is just changing its structure as an element in its pure form. We can further manipulate its properties by making compounds of carbon and other materials. It is quite an amazing substance.

        Good luck with your M.A.Sc.E.E., "EM".

        Sincerely,
        Engineer_MK, the Dynamic Accelerator.

        E M <seventh_sky_2000@...> wrote:
        Hey my dear fellow nano-lovers!!!.....I'm working on nanotubes for my M.A.Sc (Electrical Eng.) thesis but I have a basic fundemental question..........Why is carbon the ONLY element to link in long chains?,,

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Michael Kern
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
          Oh, quell your fears, Mark. This guy dosn't give me the feeling of being a fantasizing transhumanist wacko / brainwasher.

          Besides, it would be good to give students a better understanding of these emerging technologies. I am willing to do what I can on that note. I would like some more specific information on what he means though.

          History shows that, no matter what, a technology is limmited in the change it can produce by the society that develops it. These changes always happen relatively slowly. Also, people have changed in the way they do things, but not in the way things are done.

          Be carefull, there's troubble out there.

          Sincerely,
          Engineer_MK
          (Scientist, Intrepid Explorer, and Juggling Clown)

          Mark Gubrud <mgubrud@...> wrote:
          Brainwashing kids to want to be cyborgs when they grow up? Don't the
          cartoons and comics and war toys do a good enough job of this already?