Question

  • Greg Accolla
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2004
      Hello All,

      Does anyone think that it is possible to create a nanotube that can hold
      any amount of pressure?

      What I am thinking is that if you could encapsulate a gas then feed the
      nanotubes into a liquid that dissolved the membrane,
      you could regulate a micro sized combustion chamber for small devices that
      used (gas) fuel instead of direct battery power.
      Or
      If you used solar power to electrically charge the membrane to burst and
      release the gas then use the exhaust to turn a micro sized generator to
      boost power output.

      It may just be nonsense it was just a dream I had one night.

      NTSIG
    • Eugen Leitl
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 23, 2004
        On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 08:50:42AM -0400, Greg Accolla wrote:
        > Hello All,
        >
        > Does anyone think that it is possible to create a nanotube that can hold
        > any amount of pressure?

        No. C-C bonds have finite bonding energy. It's easy to get endohydrogen out
        of a fullerene shell by heating.

        > What I am thinking is that if you could encapsulate a gas then feed the
        > nanotubes into a liquid that dissolved the membrane,

        Like hot fuming nitric or perchloric acid?

        > you could regulate a micro sized combustion chamber for small devices that
        > used (gas) fuel instead of direct battery power.

        Aargh! Electrochemical sources are good, they actually not limited by Carnot
        efficiency. You can actually get some 98% out instead of 40%.

        > Or
        > If you used solar power to electrically charge the membrane to burst and
        > release the gas then use the exhaust to turn a micro sized generator to
        > boost power output.
        >
        > It may just be nonsense it was just a dream I had one night.

        When I have dreams like this I usually wake up screaming.