Re: [nanotech] Carbon Nanotube Fabrication

  • Eugen Leitl
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 18, 2004
      On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:46:28AM -0800, E M wrote:
      > I wonder what is the popular method nowadays to fabricate nanotubes?>

      High-temperature pyrolysis of organic gas/vapor in hydrogen, gas phase.
      Another interesting method is cycles of heathing and quenching graphite
      (whether natural or HOPG, no idea) in cold water.

      Low tech, with electroheating you could do it at home.

    • E M
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 19, 2004
        Could you be more specific?I thought there are three mian methods.....1)laser ablation2)chemical vapor deposition3)electrical arc discharge........so will u describe more your mentioned method???
        1) Electrical arc discharge

        Eugen Leitl <eugen@...> wrote:On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:46:28AM -0800, E M wrote:
        > I wonder what is the popular method nowadays to fabricate nanotubes?>

        High-temperature pyrolysis of organic gas/vapor in hydrogen, gas phase.
        Another interesting method is cycles of heathing and quenching graphite
        (whether natural or HOPG, no idea) in cold water.

        Low tech, with electroheating you could do it at home.

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Eugen Leitl
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 19, 2004
          On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 01:57:04PM -0800, E M wrote:
          > Could you be more specific?I thought there are three mian
          > methods.....1)laser ablation2)chemical vapor deposition
          > 3)electrical arc discharge........

          As you say, there are many methods, and each one of your terms in combination
          with nanotubes will lead many more leads if used as a search term.

          > so will u describe more your mentioned method???

          I don't have the original paper (iirc it was mentioned but not published in
          Science), but

          http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=graphite+water+nanotube&btnG=Google+Search

          does look pretty good.

          Search engines are more useful than ever; far more so than requests for
          information to this list, and others.

        • E M
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 20, 2004
            U bet!...but you learn by discussing it as well

            Eugen Leitl <eugen@...> wrote: On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 01:57:04PM -0800, E M wrote:
            > Could you be more specific?I thought there are three mian
            > methods.....1)laser ablation2)chemical vapor deposition
            > 3)electrical arc discharge........

            As you say, there are many methods, and each one of your terms in combination
            with nanotubes will lead many more leads if used as a search term.

            > so will u describe more your mentioned method???

            I don't have the original paper (iirc it was mentioned but not published in
            Science), but

            http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=graphite+water+nanotube&btnG=Google+Search

            does look pretty good.

            Search engines are more useful than ever; far more so than requests for
            information to this list, and others.

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Do you Yahoo!?