Clinton/Nanotechnology News

  • Gina Miller
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2000
      * (1/21/00) Clinton Offers Increase in Nanotechnology Money. President
      Clinton on Friday proposed a $2.8 billion increase in research into elusive
      medical cures and high-technology breakthroughs like reducing information in
      the Library of Congress into a unit the size of a sugar cube. I was informed
      of the yahoo link, however I searched online to find more reports and am
      including these as well.
      (Yahoo)
      http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000121/ts/clinton_technology_1.html

      (Eurekalert) http://www.eurekalert.org/releases/aip-ctu012100.html

      (ABC news)
      http://abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/Researchfunds_000121.html

      (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.com/news/360297.asp

      [insert arcane epigram here]
      Gina "Nanogirl" Miller
      Nanotechnology Industries
      http://www.nanoindustries.com
      Personal Web
      http://www.nanogirl.com
      E-mail: nanogirl@...
    • James B. Lewis
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 21, 2000
        At 2:44 PM -0800 1/21/00, Gina Miller wrote:
        >From: "Gina Miller" <nanogirl@...>
        >
        >* (1/21/00) Clinton Offers Increase in Nanotechnology Money. President
        >Clinton on Friday proposed a $2.8 billion increase in research into elusive
        >medical cures and high-technology breakthroughs like reducing information in
        >the Library of Congress into a unit the size of a sugar cube. I was informed
        >of the yahoo link, however I searched online to find more reports and am
        >including these as well.
        >(Yahoo)
        >http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000121/ts/clinton_technology_1.html
        >
        >(Eurekalert) http://www.eurekalert.org/releases/aip-ctu012100.html
        >
        >(ABC news)
        >http://abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/Researchfunds_000121.html
        >
        >(MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.com/news/360297.asp

        There is also a direct link from the White House Web site's homepage
        to a press release at
        http://www.whitehouse.gov/WH/New/html/20000121.html
        "President Clinton announces nearly a $3 billion increase in
        Twenty-First Century Research Fund" One of the five components of the
        increase is: "A new $497 million National Nanotechnology Initiative.
        Nanotechnology - the ability to manipulate individual atoms and
        molecules - could revolutionize the 21st century in the same way that
        the transistor and the Internet led to the Information Age. Increased
        investments in nanotechnology could lead to breakthroughs such as
        molecular computers that can store the contents of the Library of
        Congress in a device the size of a sugar cube, and new materials ten
        times stronger than steel and a fraction of the weight."

        Further details are given on the Office of Science and Technology
        Policy on the White House Web site:
        http://www.whitehouse.gov/WH/EOP/OSTP/html/00_121_3.html

        There is also an article on the NY Times Web site:
        http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/01/biztech/articles/21chip.html

        James B. Lewis, Ph.D. James B. Lewis Enterprises
        E-mail: nanojbl@... alternate e-mail: nanojlewis@...
        World Wide Web: http://www.halcyon.com/nanojbl/
      • William R. Cousert
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 21, 2000
          >President Clinton�s FY 2001 budget request includes a $227 million (84%)
          increase in the government�s investment in nanotechnology research and
          development.

          It�s a nice start, but they can do better. I�d like to see the government
          spend up to $1 trillion US dollars over the next decade. This could be the
          next Apollo or Manhattan project.

          William R. Cousert
          wrcousert@...

          At 2:44 PM -0800 1/21/00, Gina Miller wrote:
          >From: "Gina Miller" <nanogirl@...>
          >
          >* (1/21/00) Clinton Offers Increase in Nanotechnology Money. President
          >Clinton on Friday proposed a $2.8 billion increase in research into elusive
          >medical cures and high-technology breakthroughs like reducing information
          in
          >the Library of Congress into a unit the size of a sugar cube. I was
          informed
          >of the yahoo link, however I searched online to find more reports and am
          >including these as well.
          >(Yahoo)
          > http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000121/ts/clinton_technology_1.html
          >
          >(Eurekalert) http://www.eurekalert.org/releases/aip-ctu012100.html
          >
          >(ABC news)
          > http://abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/Researchfunds_000121.html
          >
          >(MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.com/news/360297.asp

          There is also a direct link from the White House Web site's homepage
          to a press release at
          http://www.whitehouse.gov/WH/New/html/20000121.html
          "President Clinton announces nearly a $3 billion increase in
          Twenty-First Century Research Fund" One of the five components of the
          increase is: "A new $497 million National Nanotechnology Initiative.
          Nanotechnology - the ability to manipulate individual atoms and
          molecules - could revolutionize the 21st century in the same way that
          the transistor and the Internet led to the Information Age. Increased
          investments in nanotechnology could lead to breakthroughs such as
          molecular computers that can store the contents of the Library of
          Congress in a device the size of a sugar cube, and new materials ten
          times stronger than steel and a fraction of the weight."

          Further details are given on the Office of Science and Technology
          Policy on the White House Web site:
          http://www.whitehouse.gov/WH/EOP/OSTP/html/00_121_3.html

          There is also an article on the NY Times Web site:
          http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/01/biztech/articles/21chip.html

          James B. Lewis, Ph.D. James B. Lewis Enterprises
          E-mail: nanojbl@... alternate e-mail: nanojlewis@...
          World Wide Web: http://www.halcyon.com/nanojbl/
          _____

          ONElist Sponsor
          <http://adforce.imgis.com/?adlink%7C2.0%7C2%7C76328%7C1%7C1%7Cmisc=379;loc=3
          00;>
          _____

        • Sergio J. Lebid
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 22, 2000
            I could not agree with you more. As a thought, what lobbying efforts, in
            addition to Dr. Smalley's presentation before Congress, etc., are taking
            place in D.C.? Is a group organized to establish a vigorous nanotechnology
            lobbying campaign? If there isn't one then it is of utmost importance to do
            so.

            To Gina: If find your work to be exceptional in tracking and relaying all of
            this vital information. Keep up the good work!

            Sergio Lebid

            P.S. In my small way, I have been a proponent of nanotechnology related r&d
            since the 80's. I have also co-founded a company
            http://www.fivestartech.com that manufactures processing equipment used, for
            example, for producing nano-sized liposomes for pharmaceutical applications;
            nano-sized pigment dispersions for ink and coating applications; etc. The
            processing technology used is based on hydrodynamic cavitation and was
            invented by my associate, Dr. Oleg Kozyuk. He holds a number of US and
            international patents in this area. One of several potentially significant
            application areas involves chemical synthesis of nanostructured materials
            which Dr. William Moser of Worcester Polytechnic Institute has established
            to have great merit in using the equipment developed by Dr. Kozyuk. If you
            are interested in learning more, please contact me at lebid@... or Jim
            Mazzella at jmazzella@... at Five Star Technologies.

            FREE! The World's Best Email Address @...
          • Alan Heaberlin
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 22, 2000
              What makes you think that there isn't some "black program" money being used
              for NT or that some of the enormous budget that goes to military contractors
              is being shunted toward "little projects?"
              Alan Heaberlin