Re: [nanotech] Re: Isn't a nano electronic device susceptible to an electric surge?

  • Mark Gubrud
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 5, 2004
      Eugen Leitl wrote:

      > Off the cuff, I'd say it takes less energy to blow a hole through a few-atom
      > thick oxide layer than to vaporize a transistor made from a bucky T-piece.

      Your T-junction transistor is either a bipolar transistor or JFET,
      right? These are less static sensitive in any case. CNTs might also be
      used to make FETs, in which case they'd have few-atom-thick gate
      insulation. In either case, it will take much less collector or drain
      current to blow one out than for a heftier device, although the
      sensitivity to an overvoltage on the base or gate might not be much
      different.

      > Indeed, but the whole point of nano is that the rules a different. It doesn't
      > even to be electronic -- they're small enough that NEMS is a viable approach.

      Vacuum microelectronics is a rad-hard, EMP-hard alternative to MOSFETs,
      but it isn't much used (if at all). Shielding and redundancy (harware
      and software redundancy) is cheaper and good enough for most purposes.

      > Look at a bucky device, built as a 3d crossbar of othogonally aligned
      > nanotubes. The I/O wires alone are SWNTs, so they're naturally
      > current-limiting.

      Current-limiting?

      > Look at our CNS: it uses active signal propagation, electrochemical
      > switching paradigm, generates power internally, and is sitting in a sea of
      > coolant/shielding. Can you imagine an electronic device surviving a direct strike of
      > lightning? Well, many people do.

      An electronic device well-packaged should be able to survive a direct
      strike. If a human is struck on the head by lightning, most of the
      current flows just under the skin. No way would a brain survive if
      struck by lightning while uncovered. It would probably explode.

      > There's a cornucopia of approaches. We don't have to act so helpless;

      Yes, that's true. If someone says "nanotech will be too sensitive to
      EMP" they're talking nonsense.

      Jean ROCH wrote:

      > Photonic interconnect ? How do you figure they'd be done ?

      Oh, somehow or other.

      --
      Mark Avrum Gubrud | "The Farce?"
      Center for Superconductivity Research | "Well, the Farce is what
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 6, 2004
        Very interesting PDF, Eugen, especially the last page. This looks very
        promising !

        I guess I'll just have to wait for this stuff to become real-world
        technology :) I hope it won't take long.

        Jean

        http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
      • E M
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 6, 2004
          Hey guys..Is any of you who is familiar with Silvaco software can tell me if there is any way to use Silvaco in nano field,,,Is there any Quantum application in this software????,,,THANX IN ADAVANCE