RE: [nanotech] Robotic manipulation at nanometer scale

  • Prashant Sharma
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2003

      Hi everybody. Since I’m new to this group, I thought of introducing myself.

      I’m Prashant From Pune, India.

      Since the last couple of days, I was just leafing through the articles posted to this group,

      in order to get my bearings right.

      Now that I’m settled, I’ve a question – I’ve heard that the University of Southern California

      has developed a novel technique for manipulating objects at nanometer scales.

      For this, they are taking the help of a SPM as a robot. Is anybody aware about this technique

      in detail ? Could you pass on some details for the same ?

      If it indeed is as true as I think it to be, then we can have tremendous

      manufacturing possibilities in the next couple of decades or so J

      Regards,

      Prashant.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2003
        Aristides Requicha of USC electrical engineering department has a small
        group that has done experiments using STM/AFM to push around gold
        nanoballs and things of this sort. The last report of their work I have
        seen was not particularly advanced. They call it "nanorobotics" because
        they are inspired by Drexler and other work on assemblers, and they are
        trying to attract major funding to develop this vision further, but I am
        not aware that they have had much success in that.

        There is also a MEMS group at USC which seems to be doing some
        interesting things and has some fun animations on their homepage
        http://mems.usc.edu/

        --
        Mark Avrum Gubrud | "The Farce?"
        Center for Superconductivity Research | "Well, the Farce is what