The World's First Singularity Conference - Sept 12-14

  • Tyler Emerson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2003
      Nanotech readers can receive $50 off their registration for the Accelerating
      Change Conference by using the discount code "ACC2003-Nanotech" (no quotes).

      >>> Accelerating Change Conference 2003 <<<
      Exploring the Future of Accelerating Change

      September 12-14, Stanford University

      ----------------------------------------------------------------> ?

      What will the world be like if Moore's Law (the exponential growth in
      computing power) holds for another 30 years?

      "The first meeting on an exciting topic like this is always a major event,
      attracting a 'Who's Who' of forward-looking thinkers. Come and meet the
      people who see what's coming, know how to grapple with it, and are taking
      action to steer and benefit from the tsunami of change we're all riding."

      -- Christine Peterson, President of Foresight Institute

      ACC2003 Conference Overview

      * The world's first multidisciplinary conference exploring the special
      domains of science and technology that have continually accelerated, and
      their implications for the near future of business and society
      * Two days and nights of networking with many of the top minds in the world
      * Twenty-four leading thinkers on the topic of accelerating change
      * Special events such as the Collective Intelligence dinner
      * Conference Handbook and post-conference Proceedings

      ACC2003 Speakers (Partial List)

      Ray Kurzweil (via Teleportec's 3D Telepresence Lectern)
      Steve Jurvetson, Managing Director at Draper Fisher Jurvetson
      K. Eric Drexler, Chairman of Foresight Institute
      James N. Gardner, Author of Biocosm
      Robert Wright, Author of Nonzero
      John R. Koza, CEO of Genetic Programming
      William H. Calvin, Author of A Brain for All Seasons
      Greg Papadopoulos, CTO of Sun Microsystems
      Christine Peterson, President of Foresight Institute
      Nick Bostrom, Chairman of World Transhumanist Association
      Scott A. Hunt, Author of The Future of Peace
      Tim O'Reilly, CEO of O'Reilly & Associates
      Ross Mayfield, CEO of Socialtext
      Howard Bloom, Author of Global Brain
      Matt Lennig, Senior Vice President of Engineering at Nuance
      Ben Goertzel, Founder and CEO of Biomind
      Keith Devlin, Executive Director of Stanford's CSLI
      Nick Bostrom, Author of Anthropic Bias
      Ilkka Tuomi, Author of "The Lives and Death of Moore's Law"

      ACC2003 Topics (Partial List)

      * Multifold Trends in Accelerating Change
      * Nanotechnology and Nanoscience
      * Evaluating Kurzweil's 'Law of Accelerating Returns'
      * The Linguistic User Interface
      * Artificial General Intelligence (AGI)
      * Venture Capital in a World of Accelerating Change
      * Shaping the Next Technological Revolution
      * Social Software Solutions
      * The Selfish Biocosm Hypothesis
      * Observation Selection Theory
      * Biologically Inspired Computing
      * Technology and Interdependence
      * The Diffusion of New Memes in the Media
      * Accelerating Change and World Peace
      * The Technological and Developmental Singularity

      ACC2003 Registration

      Regular Rate: $395
      Regular Student Rate: $150
      Door Rate: $495
      Virtual Attendance Rate: $99

      To register, visit: http://www.accelerating.org/acc2003/registration.htm.

      * Virtual Attendance includes conference DVDs, text proceedings, and web
      content, excluding portions of the Speculations section.

      More Information

      Website: http://www.accelerating.org/acc2003/conf_home.htm

      Latest Press Release

      PALO ALTO, CA (September 3, 2003) - The world's first multidisciplinary
      forum to explore business and society's accelerating rate of change, the
      Accelerating Change Conference (ACC2003), occurs September 12-14, 2003,
      at Stanford University's Tresidder Union. Twenty-four prominent thinkers
      will present topics with profound implications about the course of our
      lives, and humanity's near- and long-term future.

      Several presenters will focus on the domains of nanotechnology and
      artificial intelligence - two rapidly growing technologies expected to be
      critically important in the twenty-first century.

      K. Eric Drexler, Chair of Foresight Institute and author of Engines of
      Creation, will clarify the long-term goals of nanotechnology (developing
      nanofactories that precisely control matter at the atomic level), and the
      focused research likely to safely and swiftly achieve these goals.

      Matthew Lennig, Senior VP of Engineering at Nuance Inc., will review the
      history of linguistic interfaces (systems that support communication
      between humans and machines based on spoken or written human language),
      present a vision for the future, and discuss the challenges that lie between
      the present state of technology and the future linguistic user interface.

      Christine Peterson, President of Foresight Institute, will explore the
      benefits and risks of nanotechnology, the importance of avoiding intentional
      abuse, the need for improved education about this technology and what policy
      strategies will work, the Foresight Institute's preferred strategy of open,
      cooperative international development, and how individuals can help ensure
      the safe progression toward the next manufacturing revolution.

      Ben Goertzel, CEO of Biomind, will examine the current state of artificial
      general intelligence (AGI) theory and technology, and why over the next few
      decades, powered by ongoing advances in computing hardware, AGI is poised
      to play a leading role in the development of twenty-first century
      technology, with emphasis on the power of AGI to enhance work in biotech,
      nanotech, fundamental physics, and distributed cognition. Wearing his
      futurist hat, Goertzel will propose that the infusion of AGI through various
      areas of advanced technology may serve as the transition phase to a
      technological singularity (the development of human-surpassing
      intelligence), driven and dominated by sophisticated AGI systems.

      John Smart, President of the Institute for Accelerating Change (IAC), the
      event's organizer, said "Everybody has noticed it, but no community talks
      openly and systematically about accelerating change. We're bringing together
      leaders from multiple disciplines on this neglected and future-critical
      subject. We don't just focus on nanotech, AI, and the continuation of
      Moore's Law - we explore broader topics, such as 'Is technology becoming a
      learning system?' 'Which technologies are self-catalyzing?' 'Is there a
      historical trend toward increasing interdependence, intelligence, and
      immunity in complex systems, such as human societies?' 'How do we guide
      technology's development toward effectively solving social problems?'"

      Smart continued, "We are still early in asking the big questions about the
      accelerating future, and in finding ways to wisely guide acceleration in our
      modern lives. But the more we give ourselves permission to consider these
      issues, the better equipped we will be to create our daily personal and
      collective futures, consistent with unavoidable accelerating trends."

      To that end, the event's Collective Intelligence dinner will give all
      participants a chance to explore their choice of 20-30 "Challenge Questions"
      about the conference's themes, such as "What is the significance of global
      IT services to small businesses?" and "What classes of technologies can
      individuals and enterprises use to increase their productivity in the next
      five years?" Each table will seat eight attendees with one question per
      table. After the dinner, self-selected speakers will give a summary report
      of their table's response to their particular question.

      Tyler Emerson, IAC Vice President, said "The dinner blends small-group
      brainstorming with large-group presentation to gain personalized
      perspectives on a range of valuable questions. To be honest, every event
      should have such a dinner. It provides an efficient way to explore the
      knowledge of our distinguished participants, both speakers and attendees,
      and to improve the quality of their networking and participation."

      Christine Peterson, President of Foresight Institute, noted that "The first
      meeting on an exciting topic like this is always a major event, attracting a
      'Who's Who' of forward-looking thinkers. You'll meet the people who see
      what's coming, know how to grapple with it, and are taking action to steer
      and benefit from the tsunami of change we're all riding."

      Mark Finnern, an event speaker, added "Most events covering the future look
      two years ahead. What ACC2003 participants will do is take a step back, open
      their eyes and look five to 30 years into the future. If you bring bright
      minds together, some of them experts in their fields, coming from different
      walks of life with different viewpoints, magical things happen."

      * * *

      IAC is an educational 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation based in Los Angeles,
      California. Our mission is to help individuals, business, and society
      understand the potential risks and benefits of the accelerating pace of
      change through our conferences, reading groups, publications, websites, and
      sense of community. For more information about IAC and ACC2003, contact Tom
      Bresnahan, Public Relations, (310) 398-1934, or tombrez@....