Excerpt: NANOCOSM and The Death of Digital Technology

  • Steve O'Keefe
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
      I have permission from Amacom Books to distribute an
      excerpt from "NANOCOSM: Nanotechnology and the Big Changes
      coming from the Inconceivably Small," a new book by award-
      winning science writer William Illsey Atkinson.

      The excerpt is called "The Death of Digital Technology,"
      and features remarks by IBM's director of physical
      sciences, Dr. Thomas N. Theis, about the limits of digital
      information storage and the coming return to analog
      systems. This shocking admission highlights a battle in
      nanoscience between the machinists, who foresee microscopic
      factories and robots, and the naturalists, who use
      biomimicry to get viruses and proteins to do their bidding.

      NANOCOSM documents this philosophical divide, but mostly
      finds unity in the world of the super small. Atkinson shows
      how scientific disciplines are uniting at the nano level:
      biology, chemistry, physics, and engineering. Also joining
      forces are the nations of the world; NANOCOSM features
      contributions from the U.S.A., Japan, the U.K., Brussels,
      France, Canada, Australia, among others. Published by the
      American Management Association's Amacom Books imprint,
      NANOCOSM also focuses on the evaluation and exploitation of
      this technology by entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, and
      multinational firms in pharmaceuticals, information
      technology, manufacturing, transportation, and other major
      industries.

      You'll find the excerpt on "The Death of Digital Technology"
      in the Files folder here in the group. If you'd
      like to personally probe the author of NANOCOSM, he'll be
      at The WELL's Inkwell Forum, June 2 - 13. The forum is free
      and open to the public at http://www.well.com/inkwell

      STEVE O'KEEFE
    • Mark Gubrud
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
        My review: not very good, technically. There are a lot of sloppy
        misstatements. We are not at the end of the line for Si technology, and
        won't be for at least another decade. The Human Genome does not contain
        3 GB of information. It's actually 3.2 billion base pairs, which is 0.8
        GB at two bits per bp. Redundant coding reduces that to about 300 MB of
        raw information, and compression would knock it down by another
        significant factor. All of which is pretty irrelevant to anything.

        Analog is not coming back to replace digital. Digital computing is the
        only way to crunch numbers efficiently. Neural networks might replace
        digital computers for some kinds of artificial intelligence
        applications, but neural nets aren't analog computers. Biocomputation
        is not analog, either. It's a hybrid, more digital (different
        locations, different cells, different chemical species) than analog
        (different levels of a given chemical); there are many more different
        numbers involved than there are significantly different levels of any
        one number.

        --
        Mark Avrum Gubrud | "The Farce?"
        Center for Superconductivity Research | "Well, the Farce is what
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003

          Dear friends I am Derya Yaluk And I am Physical engineer and now � am Ph.D student. I need to know two word difference adhesiveness nad cohesiveness � am waiting your answers

          DERYA YALUK
          F�Z�K Y�KSEK M�HEND�S�
        • Wouter Lagerweij
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
            On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 09:35, DERYA YALIK wrote:

            > Dear friends I am Derya Yaluk And I am Physical engineer and now am
            > Ph.D student. I need to know two word difference adhesiveness nad
            > cohesiveness am waiting your answers

            I seem to recall vaguely from my high-school physics lessons that
            cohesiveness is the extend to which molecules (in a fluid in the example
            we got) are attracted to the same type of molecules, while adhesiveness
            is the extend to which they are attracted to molecules of a different
            type.

            Wouter
          • Pankaj Gupta
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
              Hello,

              adhesiveness means the bonding between two different kind of material like adhesion of Ni coating on steel.
              cohesiveness means bonding with a materials like cohesiveness of grains of iron at low and high temperature.
              I hope this helps.
              Regards
              Pankaj

              DERYA YALIK <yaderya@...> wrote:

              Dear friends I am Derya Yaluk And I am Physical engineer and now � am Ph.D student. I need to know two word difference adhesiveness nad cohesiveness � am waiting your answers

              DERYA YALUK
              F�Z�K Y�KSEK M�HEND�S�
              &quot;Nanotechnology: solutions for the future.&quot;

              Do you Yahoo!?