Re: [nanotech] ETC Against Nano ..?

  • biodun olusesi
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 2003
      I did request for and got a copy of the ETC book from
      the organization itself, and I must say I view their
      perception differently from that of Ventura.
      As a clinician with research interests, I must confess
      that I have deep sympathy for anyone advocating
      adequate and proper study of materials to be
      introduced into the human body. And that is what the
      fields of medical and scientific ethics are all about.
      The arguments for and against genetically-modified
      crops are available on line at several sites
      including:

      http://www.thecampaign.org/education/brochuregrim.php
      http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/harvest/exist/arguments,html
      and a number of links to this subject could be found
      at
      http://www.netlinks.de/gen/home.html

      To dismiss these arguments as
      >>1. Resistance to change
      > 2: Organizations built upon protest
      is to me shear myopia, and at most un-scientific. We
      should learn to separate our emotions from our logic.

      Even the man reputed to have done more theoretical
      study on nanomedicine than any other person - Robert
      Freitas, Jnr is presently preoccupied with the safety
      or otherwise of nano-robots in human body, as
      published in one of the recent Foresight's Updates
      (available at http://www.imm.org/Reports/Rep033.html )
      It is in this light that I view and understand the
      message of the ETC group: For nanotechnology to
      achieve most of the promises, we need NANO-EHTICS to
      check and regulate the safety issues. Otherwise we'll
      be back to the same fate that biotechnology is
      expecting today.
      Biodun
      www.nanotology.org

      http://platinum.yahoo.com