diffusion into developing nations

  • donmaclurcan <donmaclurcan@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2003
      Hi,

      I realise it is somewhat jumping the gun, but does anyone have any
      thoughts or links regarding the application of nanotechnology to
      developing nations and what issues will be faced in the transfer of
      technology.

      regards,
      Don
      Australia
    • Merlin Goldman

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2003
          Hi
          Not quite true. Korea, Taiwan and China want to be the
          helm of applications, the world leaders. They are all
          working indpendently. China possibly is ahead too in
          new discoveries and near patentable technology. Their
          focus is on nanomaterials. Biodmedical applications
          etc have thus far been ignored. The country's per
          patent spending too is probably far lower than most of
          the advanced countries. That means it spends less and
          discovers more. Politically, India and China,
          particularly the former, even refuse to acknowledge
          they have an AIDs problem. LIKe IT (India) auto
          (Japanese), electronics (China, Korea, Taiwan), its
          possible, the Third World will lead and dominate the
          nanotech, lifesciences, biotech revolutions. Further,
          if you add Japan to this group, you may actually have
          an Asian dominance.
          Regards
          Jayanthi
          --- Merlin Goldman <mhgoldmanuk@...> wrote:

          > I think there will be similar issues concerning the
          > transfer of nanotechnological applications as many
          > other new technologies. Most will enter after a
          > period of delay in which the price will have fallen
          > sufficiently or supporting infrastructure is in
          > place e.g. telecommunications. Others of more
          > immediate concern will suffer political pressure to
          > be introduced quickly e.g. AIDS drugs. Some will be
          > instigated rapidly because of their particular
          > advantages/timings e.g. mobile phones in sparsely
          > populated regions or environmental measures in
          > countries becoming industrialised.
          > Merlin
          > "donmaclurcan <donmaclurcan@...>"
          > <donmaclurcan@...> wrote:Hi,
          >
          > I realise it is somewhat jumping the gun, but does
          > anyone have any
          > thoughts or links regarding the application of
          > nanotechnology to
          > developing nations and what issues will be faced in
          > the transfer of
          > technology.
          >
          > regards,
          > Don
          > Australia

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • jo mando
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 4, 2003

            the CIR countries will win the battle of nano-bio-neural-info......

            yes..china..india..russian are the winners in this century...they have

            no barriers..for new technologies..like DNA-technologies...they are young..

            hangry..nearly 50 percent ot the world population...they want the same

            standard..like western`s...( what ever this is..) already..today..they are far with

            neural..stemcells...more than 400 nano companies..old europe will fall back..

            and usa are loosing there leadership...within the next 20 years...

            for good or bad...the "molecular future has started.." ....

            helmut kaiser ( hkc22.com)

             jayanthi iyengar <jayanthiiyengar1@...> wrote:

            Hi
            Not quite true. Korea, Taiwan and China want to be the
            helm of applications, the world leaders. They are all
            working indpendently. China possibly is ahead too in
            new discoveries and near patentable technology. Their
            focus is on nanomaterials. Biodmedical applications
            etc have thus far been ignored. The country's per
            patent spending too is probably far lower than most of
            the advanced countries. That means it spends less and
            discovers more. Politically, India and China,
            particularly the former, even refuse to acknowledge
            they have an AIDs problem. LIKe IT (India) auto
            (Japanese), electronics (China, Korea, Taiwan), its
            possible, the Third World will lead and dominate the
            nanotech, lifesciences, biotech revolutions. Further,
            if you add Japan to this group, you may actually have
            an Asian dominance.
            Regards
            Jayanthi
            --- Merlin Goldman <mhgoldmanuk@...> wrote:

            > I think there will be similar issues concerning the
            > transfer of nanotechnological applications as many
            > other new technologies. Most will enter after a
            > period of delay in which the price will have fallen
            > sufficiently or supporting infrastructure is in
            > place e.g. telecommunications. Others of more
            > immediate concern will suffer political pressure to
            > be introduced quickly e.g. AIDS drugs. Some will be
            > instigated rapidly because of their particular
            > advantages/timings e.g. mobile phones in sparsely
            > populated regions or environmental measures in
            > countries becoming industrialised.
            > Merlin
            >  "donmaclurcan <donmaclurcan@...>"
            > <donmaclurcan@...> wrote:Hi,
            >
            > I realise it is somewhat jumping the gun, but does
            > anyone have any
            > thoughts or links regarding the application of
            > nanotechnology to
            > developing nations and what issues will be faced in
            > the transfer of
            > technology.
            >
            > regards,
            > Don
            > Australia

            &quot;Nanotechnology: solutions for the future.&quot;

            Gesendet von http://mail.yahoo.de.
            Auto- und Motorradfahrer aufgepasst! Günstige Kfz-Versicherung bei der HUK24: Sie sparen bis zu 30%.

          • biodun olusesi
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2003

              Don's worries could be summed into the 2 questions asked:

              1. Thoughts or Links regarding application of nanotech to DEVELOPING countries!!!

              2. What issues will be faced in the transfer of technology!!!

              To comprehend the first question, we need to understanding his mind on what constitute or IS or IS EXPECTED from a country classified as DEVELOPING?

              - bunch of tech consumers, and zero producers?

              - Disease-ridden countries incapable of solving their internal problems without resorting to aids from DEVELOPED countries?

              - Politically unstable countries ruled by dictators, most of whom are THUGS?

              - Countries unsafe to be entrusted with super technology, super knowledge?

              - etc..

              However, Don might actually be aware of the historical facts that many of the DEVELOPING countries did not join the so-called computer revolution when people were using abacus to count, not even were some of them aware of the decades of Giant computers occupying a whole flat and with the computational power less than today's desktop running on P11 processor!. Yet the pace at which they are catching up is just amazing to say the least.

              - The company called Legend in China, the myriads of whizkids programmers from Bangalore, are testimonies to this fact.

              As the information age give way to the Nano age, the only response I believe Don might be interested in taking is the quotation attributed to the maverick Craig Venter:

              "I use other people's technology to drive the science I want to do. The science in turn drives the technology...''

              So for every Microsoft of the nanotechnology era, there will be myriads of Linus addicts. And that I believe is the sense in the Information revolution coming before the Nanotechnology revolution. As a leveler.

              However, just like mankind will continue to travel by air despite the hazzards of air travel, so also is the progress of nanotechnology going to continue worldwide despite the fear of 'Gray Goo..''

              My definition of a developing country however remains COUNTRIES LEFT BEHIND by THE INSOMNIA of history, and who are JUST WAKING UP to realize they are on a SUPERSONIC FLIGHT, and not on the horseback they were before they fell asleep.

              Biodun

              www.nanotology.org

               jo mando <brainandlife@...> wrote:

              the CIR countries will win the battle of nano-bio-neural-info......

              yes..china..india..russian are the winners in this century...they have

              no barriers..for new technologies..like DNA-technologies...they are young..

              hangry..nearly 50 percent ot the world population...they want the same

              standard..like western`s...( what ever this is..) already..today..they are far with

              neural..stemcells...more than 400 nano companies..old europe will fall back..

              and usa are loosing there leadership...within the next 20 years...

              for good or bad...the "molecular future has started.." ....

              helmut kaiser ( hkc22.com)

               jayanthi iyengar <jayanthiiyengar1@...> wrote:

              Hi
              Not quite true. Korea, Taiwan and China want to be the
              helm of applications, the world leaders. They are all
              working indpendently. China possibly is ahead too in
              new discoveries and near patentable technology. Their
              focus is on nanomaterials. Biodmedical applications
              etc have thus far been ignored. The country's per
              patent spending too is probably far lower than most of
              the advanced countries. That means it spends less and
              discovers more. Politically, India and China,
              particularly the former, even refuse to acknowledge
              they have an AIDs problem. LIKe IT (India) auto
              (Japanese), electronics (China, Korea, Taiwan), its
              possible, the Third World will lead and dominate the
              nanotech, lifesciences, biotech revolutions. Further,
              if you add Japan to this group, you may actually have
              an Asian dominance.
              Regards
              Jayanthi
              --- Merlin Goldman <mhgoldmanuk@...> wrote:

              > I think there will be similar issues concerning the
              > transfer of nanotechnological applications as many
              > other new technologies. Most will enter after a
              > period of delay in which the price will have fallen
              > sufficiently or supporting infrastructure is in
              > place e.g. telecommunications. Others of more
              > immediate concern will suffer political pressure to
              > be introduced quickly e.g. AIDS drugs. Some will be
              > instigated rapidly because of their particular
              > advantages/timings e.g. mobile phones in sparsely
              > populated regions or environmental measures in
              > countries becoming industrialised.
              > Merlin
              >  "donmaclurcan <donmaclurcan@...>"
              > <donmaclurcan@...> wrote:Hi,
              >
              > I realise it is somewhat jumping the gun, but does
              > anyone have any
              > thoughts or links regarding the application of
              > nanotechnology to
              > developing nations and what issues will be faced in
              > the transfer of
              > technology.
              >
              > regards,
              > Don
              > Australia

              &quot;Nanotechnology: solutions for the future.&quot;

              Gesendet von http://mail.yahoo.de.
              Auto- und Motorradfahrer aufgepasst! G�nstige Kfz-Versicherung bei der HUK24: Sie sparen bis zu 30%.

              &quot;Nanotechnology: solutions for the future.&quot;

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • Merlin Goldman

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 5, 2003
                  I thought Microsoft and Cisco were companies not
                  countries. And they are all there is Aisa and India
                  too. Regards