The Nanogirl News~

  • Gina Miller
    Message 1 of 84 , Feb 27, 2003
      The Nanogirl News
      February 27, 2003

      NNI Gets 9.5 Percent Increase in Proposed Budget. The budget for fiscal year
      2004 presented by President George W. Bush provides $847 million for the
      National Nanotechnology Initiative (NNI), a 9.5 percent increase over the
      2003 budget. View the chart of the proposed budget here: (Nanotech Planet
      Or view the PDF from the National Nanotechnology Initiative website:

      Optical trap provides new insights into motor molecules - nature`s ultimate
      nanomachines. When it comes to nanotechnology, many researchers turn to
      nature for inspiration. Of particular interest to nanoengineers is the
      naturally occurring protein kinesin. If kinesin-like nanodevices are to
      become reality, researchers first need to solve a fundamental mystery about
      how kinesin moves. A new laser microscope designed at Stanford University is
      providing new clues. (Stanford University news 2/25/03)

      New crystals may shape better nanotech. Taking a cue from a starfishlike
      marine creature, scientists at Bell Labs have created what they say are
      high-quality crystals that may one day help improve communications networks
      and nano-devices. (zdnet/cnet 2/21/03)
      Or see StockHouse USA:

      Researchers from the University of Pennsylvania and the University of
      Sheffield report in the Feb. 21 issue of Science that they have created
      tree-like molecules that assemble themselves into precisely structured
      building blocks of a quarter-million atoms. Such building blocks may be
      precursors to designing nanostructures for molecular electronics or
      photonics materials, which "steer" light in the same way computer chips
      steer electrons. (Newswise/Scinews 2/21/03)

      Researchers Develop 'Natural Bandages' That Mimic Body's Healing Process.
      With the same compound the body uses to clot blood, scientists at Virginia
      Commonwealth University have created a nano-fiber mat that could eventually
      become a "natural bandage." Spun from strands of fibrinogen 1,000 times
      thinner than a human hair, the fabric could be placed on a wound and never
      taken off - minimizing blood loss and encouraging the natural healing
      process. (ScienceDaily 2/11/03)

      Nanotech circuits could bud from brain's bane. Rogue proteins blamed for mad
      cow disease could yet find a use - in tiny electrical wires, scientists
      revealed this week in Denver. The proteins, called prions, are also thought
      to cause the human brain disease variant Creutzfeld Jacob disease (vCJD)
      when they wad together into tough, messy clumps.
      (Nature Science Update 2/16/03)

      Tiny Battery May Power Next-Gen Gadgets. A radical new design that promises
      to revamp and rewire a decades-old staple of electronics -- the battery --
      may also be the elusive blueprint for powering so-called
      "micro-electromechanical systems," or MEMS, futuristic devices no wider than
      a human hair. No battery yet exists that will provide long-lasting power and
      still fit inside devices this small," said Bruce Dunn, a materials science
      professor from the UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied
      Science. "Our team of engineers and chemists are establishing the enabling
      science for a new battery that represents a real paradigm shift," he told
      NewsFactor. (Yahoo! News 2/21/03)

      Michigan Researchers Achieve Quantum Entanglement Of Three Electrons. The
      quantum entanglement of three electrons, using an ultrafast optical pulse
      and a quantum well of a magnetic semiconductor material, has been
      demonstrated in a laboratory at the University of Michigan, marking another
      step toward the realization of a practical quantum computer. While several
      experiments in recent years have succeeded in entangling pairs of particles,
      few researchers have managed to correlate three or more particles in a
      predictable fashion. (Science Daily 2/27/03)

      Nanotechnology: The Shape of Tomorrow... Oak Ridge National Laboratory's
      Dave Geohegan, Alex Puretzky and Ilia Ivanov are using laser ablation and
      vapor deposition techniques to grow nanotubes up to millimeters long. They
      also are developing ways to align them in polymers for new generations of
      materials. The challenge now is to gain a better understanding of the tubes'
      chemistry and how they grow so scientists can optimize the process.
      (Oak Ridge National Laboratory Feb.. 2003)

      NanoMuscle eyes a giant market. What do cars and toys have in common? Very
      little, except for a device the size of a paper clip that is wedging its way
      into both markets. The device comes from Antioch-based NanoMuscle Inc. - a
      little company that is making a big name for itself. This week at the
      American International Toy Fair in New York City, the first consumer product
      using NanoMuscle's technology hit the market. Hong Kong-based Playmates Toys
      unveiled Baby Bright Eyes, a doll with eyes powered by NanoMuscle's tiny
      actuator that open and close and move slowly, as if gazing around her
      environs..."What they don't realize is this Christmas, their children will
      be playing with it, and in 2005, cars will be driving with nanotechnology,"
      MacGregor said. (East Bay bizjournals 2/21/03)

      Connecticut is poised to become the nanotechnology capital of the world,
      maker of novel materials, wonder drugs, super fuel cells and many more
      miracles of the 21st century. So believe the invitation-only members of a
      new organization called the Connecticut Nanotechnology Initiative, which met
      for the first time over the weekend at Yale University. The provost of Yale
      and the chancellor of the University of Connecticut gathered with Lt. Gov.
      M. Jodi Rell, entrepreneurs, policy makers and some of the top
      nanotechnology scientists in the world. (New Haven Register.com 2/24/03)

      Nanotech to pave way for micro-machines. Disposable satellite transmitters,
      inexpensive medical testing equipment and sensors for automatically tracking
      inventory or traffic patterns will become possible over the next 10 years
      through developments in nanotechnology, speakers at the Nanotech 2003
      conference said Monday. (ZDnet 2/25/03)

      Nanowires approach the quantum realm. Scientists at the City University of
      Hong Kong have fabricated the smallest silicon nanowires ever. Shuit-Tong
      Lee and colleagues believe that such wires - which have diameters
      approaching 1 nanometre - could be used to make UV light-emitting diodes,
      transistors and lasers (D D Ma et al. 2003 Sciencexpress to be published)
      (PhysicsWeb 2/20/03)

      The so-called 'nanoforum' consortium supported by the European Union has
      launched a pan-European Internet portal for nanotechnology research at
      http://www.nanoforum.org . By providing an exhaustive source of information,
      the site aims to help European nanotechnology experts work together and make
      faster progress. It is also designed to give less developed countries in
      Europe better access to cutting edge innovations in the field and encourage
      young scientists to publish their results. (Newsfox 2/25/03)

      Diatomists shell out on nanotechnology. It's unlikely that many
      nanotechnologists are familiar with diatoms - a group of single-celled
      shelled algae - but that could change following a world-first conference on
      diatom nanotechnology that's set to take place in the US in October. Liz
      Kalaugher spoke to conference organizer Richard Gordon of the University of
      Manitoba, Canada, to find out more. (nanotechweb.org 2/03)

      Pacific Nanotechnology Brings 'Developer's Corner' Resource to Customers.
      AFM Users Can Stay Abreast of Application Options Available and Submit Their
      Own Ideas and Requests Regarding AFM Imaging Problems or Solutions. Pacific
      Nanotechnology, Inc. (PNI), the global leader in high-performance,
      easy-to-use, and affordable atomic force microscopes (AFMs), has added a
      Pacific Nanotechnology "Developer's Corner" feature to its Web site at
      http://www.pacificnanotech.com The Developer's Corner is a resource for
      Pacific Nanotechnology customers that have modified or would like to
      customize a PNI product for a specific application. (Prn newswire 2/24/03)

      Carbon nanotubes may be magical molecular wands. Thousands of times thinner
      than a human hair but hundreds of times stronger than steel, carbon
      nanotubes could play an important role in the next wave of technological
      innovation...That's where Jun Jiao comes in. Jiao, co-director of Portland
      State University's Center for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, leads a team
      that is devising ways to build custom-designed nanotubes. "We're trying to
      create new procedures to synthesize carbon nanotubes in controlled ways, to
      produce carbon nanotubes with controlled properties," said Jiao, whose 1997
      Ph.D. thesis at the University of Arizona compared different ways of making
      nanotubes. (Oregon Live 2/26/03)

      DNA strings along metal atoms. Researchers from the University of Tokyo and
      the Institute for Molecular Science in Japan have used DNA to assemble
      strings of up to five copper ions. The technique could have applications in
      producing molecular magnets and wires. "One of the most important goals in
      the field of inorganic chemistry is to control metal arrays spatially and
      dynamically," Mitsuhiko Shionoya of the University of Tokyo told
      nanotechweb.org. "DNA shows promise as the provider of a structural basis
      for the bottom-up fabrication of inorganic and bio-organic molecular
      devices." (nanotechweb.org 2/21/03)

      Tiny Computing Machine Fueled By DNA; Device Awarded In Guinness World
      Record For "Smallest Biological Computing Device". Fifty years after the
      discovery of the structure of DNA, a new use has been found for this
      celebrated molecule: fuel for molecular computation systems. The research,
      conducted by scientists at the Weizmann Institute of Science, will appear in
      this week's issue of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA
      (PNAS). Whether plugged in or battery powered, computers need energy. Around
      a year ago, Prof. Ehud Shapiro of the Weizmann Institute made international
      headlines for devising a programmable molecular computing machine composed
      of enzymes and DNA molecules. Now his team has made the device uniquely
      frugal: the single DNA molecule that provides the computer with the input
      data also provides all the necessary fuel. (Science Daily 2/27/03)

      U-M launches ambitious exploration of inner space. A path-breaking
      collaborative effort of University of Michigan researchers will attempt to
      capture never-before-seen views of the chemical activity inside living cells
      in real time and 3-D...The U-M team will be using synthetic nanoprobes small
      enough to fit inside a cell without interrupting its normal functions to
      measure the activity of crucial metal ions like zinc and copper as the cell
      works. Sophisticated statistical modeling programs will be used to interpret
      data that looks something like a swarm of fast-moving fruit flies zinging
      around a bowl of fruit.
      (University of Michigan 2/20/03)

      Pace-Setting Nanotubes May Power Micro-Devices. New measurements by an India
      n physicist and his team support the idea that nanotubes -- cylindrical
      carbon rolls no thicker than an atom -- may make good batteries for tiny
      devices or even power pacemakers, dispensing with cumbersome power packs.
      Submersed in a slow-flowing liquid, a dense bundle of nanotubes develops a
      voltage that ranges up to 10 millivolts and increases with flow speed,
      according to Ajay Sood and his colleagues at the Indian Institute of Science
      in Bangalore. (Yahoo! News 2/27/03)

      Nanotech Research Center to Start. Officials broke ground Friday on what was
      billed as the world's most advanced facility for atomic-level research. The
      California NanoSystems Institute at the University of California, Los
      Angeles will explore the power and potential of manipulating atoms to
      engineer new materials and devices. "Nanotech may be one of the world's
      smallest sciences, but it has the greatest potential," Gov. Gray Davis said
      at the ceremony. (Yahoo! News 2/14/03)

      Photronics, MII devise first 'nano-imprint templates'. During the SPIE
      Microlithography conference here, Photronics Inc. and Molecular Imprints
      Inc. (MII) claimed to have demonstrated and built one of the world's first
      masks--or templates--for nano-imprint lithography applications. (EE Times

      Canadian NanoBusiness Alliance News. The Canadian NanoBusiness Alliance and
      key partners have expanded their effort to build a National Nanotechnology
      Initiative (NNI) in Canada. As one of the world's only industrialized
      countries without an NNI, Canadian industry is increasingly vulnerable to
      miss out on the vast technological and economic opportunities developing
      from nanotechnology. Canada's Nanotech SWAT Team was created last year to
      prepare a position paper on the need for a Canada NNI by presenting the
      viewpoints of various stakeholders in Canada. Some of Canada's foremost
      nanotech business and regional leaders have been added to the SWAT team to
      gain critical mass and industry representation.
      (Nanotechnology Now 2/26/03)

      Merkle resigns as Zyvex's nano theorist. Zyvex Corp. soon will be short a
      nanotechnology theorist, but interested applicants need not apply. Nanotech
      pioneer Ralph Merkle will step down from that post this week at Zyvex, a
      Texas-based maker of tools and technologies for molecularly precise
      manufacturing. He plans to pursue independent consulting and speaking about
      nanotech, two of his main tasks since he joined Zyvex in 1999. (Small Times

      Gina "Nanogirl" Miller
      Nanotechnology Industries
      Personal: http://www.nanogirl.com
      Foresight Senior Associate http://www.foresight.org
      Extropy member http://www.extropy.org
      "Nanotechnology: Solutions for the future."
    • picnet2
      Message 84 of 84 , Aug 14, 2008