Re: [nanotech] Nanogirl News

  • Emerson Leonard
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 15, 2002
      Welcome back Gina!
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 1:44 PM
      Subject: Re: [nanotech] Nanogirl News

      !!!!!!!!!!!! GINA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      It's great to see you post again!

      Hope this means your life has taken a turn for the better.

      Best wishes,

      Peter Nyberg

      -----
    • William R. Cousert
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 15, 2002

        Welcome back, Your dreams were your ticket out. Welcome back, To that same old place that you laughed about.

        Well, the names have all changed since you hung around, But those dreams have remained and they've turned around.

        Who'dve thought they'd lead ya? (Who'dve thought they'd lead ya?) Back here where we need ya? (Back here where we need ya?)

        Yeah, we tease her a lot, Cuz we've got her on the spot. Welcome back.

        Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back. Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

        Welcome back Gina!
        !!!!!!!!!!!! GINA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

        It's great to see you post again!

        Hope this means your life has taken a turn for the better.

        Best wishes,

        Peter Nyberg

        -----

        Do You Yahoo!?

      • Kris Holley
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 15, 2002

          Yeah, Welcome Back, it is sooo great to hear from you! Kris

        • randal lyons
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 15, 2002
            great to have you back and may you continue your great work as I see you are doing

            randal in montreal
          • sandeep malhotra
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 16, 2002
              Hello:
              Can I get access to the details of Cost and Appliance named, "SURFACE FORCE APPARATUS"?
              SANDEEP K. MALHOTRA

              On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 Gina Miller wrote :
              > The Nanogirl News
              > Feb-14-02

            • William R. Cousert
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 16, 2002

                You might be interested in this link - http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/polymer/people/jkc.htm

                  sandeep malhotra <eskay_m@...> wrote:

                Hello:
                       Can I get access to the details of Cost and Appliance named, "SURFACE FORCE APPARATUS"?
                                                  SANDEEP K. MALHOTRA

                On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 Gina Miller wrote :
                > The Nanogirl News
                > Feb-14-02

                Do You Yahoo!?

              • sandeep malhotra
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 17, 2002
                  Thanx Dr. Williams. The site has been of much use. I'm in touch with people for the cost.
                  Sandeep

                  On Sun, 17 Feb 2002 William R. Cousert wrote :

                  > You might be interested in this link -
                  > http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/polymer/people/jkc.htm
                  > sandeep malhotra <eskay_m@...> wrote:
                  > Hello:
                  > Can I get access to the details of Cost and
                  > Appliance named, "SURFACE FORCE APPARATUS"?
                  > SANDEEP K. MALHOTRA
                  >
                  > On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 Gina Miller wrote :
                  > > The Nanogirl News
                  > > Feb-14-02
                  > >

                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  > Terms of Service.

                • sanjeevi_sivasankar
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 17, 2002
                    --- In nanotech@y..., "sandeep malhotra" <eskay_m@r...> wrote:
                    > Can I get access to the details of Cost and Appliance
                    named, "SURFACE FORCE APPARATUS"?
                    > SANDEEP K. MALHOTRA

                    You might also want to check out the home page of Prof. Jacob N.
                    Israelachvili who was instrumental in developing this technique.

                    http://squid.ucsb.edu/~sfalab/index.html

                    In my former lab, we bought our Surface Force Apparatuses from a
                    company called Surforce.
                    -Sanjeevi
                  • sandeep malhotra
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 18, 2002
                      This is what I required Sanjeei. Thanx a ;lot. But at what price did you purchase it then. For how much I can purchase it now? As a matter of fact a new Regional Center for Nanoscience & Nanotechnology is coming up in Northern India at Allahabad. Only recently sanctioned, now we may have to spell out exact cost requirements. Could you please help?
                      Sandeep
                      On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 sanjeevi_sivasankar wrote :
                      > --- In nanotech@y..., "sandeep malhotra" <eskay_m@r...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Can I get access to the details of Cost and
                      > Appliance
                      > named, "SURFACE FORCE APPARATUS"?
                      > > SANDEEP K. MALHOTRA
                      > >

                      > You might also want to check out the home page of Prof.
                      > Jacob N.
                      > Israelachvili who was instrumental in developing this
                      > technique.
                      >
                      > http://squid.ucsb.edu/~sfalab/index.html
                      >
                      > In my former lab, we bought our Surface Force
                      > Apparatuses from a
                      > company called Surforce.

                    • sandeep malhotra
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 18, 2002
                        This is what I required Sanjeevi. Thanx a ;lot. But at what price did you purchase it then. For how much I can purchase it now? As a matter of fact a new Regional Center for Nanoscience & Nanotechnology is coming up in Northern India at Allahabad. Only recently sanctioned, now we may have to spell out exact cost requirements. Could you please help?
                        Sandeep
                        On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 sanjeevi_sivasankar wrote :
                        > --- In nanotech@y..., "sandeep malhotra" <eskay_m@r...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > Can I get access to the details of Cost and
                        > Appliance
                        > named, "SURFACE FORCE APPARATUS"?
                        > > SANDEEP K. MALHOTRA
                        > >

                        > You might also want to check out the home page of Prof.
                        > Jacob N.
                        > Israelachvili who was instrumental in developing this
                        > technique.
                        >
                        > http://squid.ucsb.edu/~sfalab/index.html
                        >
                        > In my former lab, we bought our Surface Force
                        > Apparatuses from a
                        > company called Surforce.
                        > -Sanjeevi

                      • sanjeevi_sivasankar
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 19, 2002
                          --- In nanotech@y..., "sandeep malhotra" <eskay_m@r...> wrote:

                          > This is what I required Sanjeei. Thanx a lot. But at what price did
                          > you purchase it then. For how much I can purchase it now?

                          Sandeep,
                          We used a research version Surface Force Apparatus called 'Mark III'.
                          This instrument directly measures static and dynamic forces between
                          surfaces and to study other interfacial and thin film phenomena at
                          the molecular level. The SFA utilizes the FECO optical technique for
                          unambiguous distance measurements. Modifications and attachments for
                          performing various types of force measurements were available. While
                          I dont remember the price, you could contact the vendor to get a
                          quote. Their address is

                          SurForce Corporation,
                          2233 Foothill Lane,
                          Santa Barbara, CA 93195.
                          Phone: (1) 805/899-9292.

                          For a description of the Mark III Surface Force Apparatus see
                          http://squid.ucsb.edu/~sfalab/mark-III.html
                          Best of luck
                          -Sanjeevi
                        • sandeep malhotra
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 20, 2002
                            Dear Dr. Sanjeevi:
                            It would help again. I'll contact vendor. One more thing- your description of SFA reveals you have much more practical experience handling this unit. As I'm a beginner. Suppose I get the machine, could you be helpful in handling methods precisely. My area of interest is Parasitology, where I've isolated protozoan parasitic disease organisms of fishes. These are sincgle - celled stages measuring, at times 0.00004 mm size. I am trying hard to begin nanostudies in Parasitology so as to attain control initiatives.
                            sandeep

                            On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 sanjeevi_sivasankar wrote :
                            > --- In nanotech@y..., "sandeep malhotra" <eskay_m@r...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > This is what I required Sanjeei. Thanx a lot. But at
                            > what price did
                            > > you purchase it then. For how much I can purchase it
                            > now?
                            >
                            > Sandeep,
                            > We used a research version Surface Force Apparatus
                            > called 'Mark III'.
                            > This instrument directly measures static and dynamic
                            > forces between
                            > surfaces and to study other interfacial and thin film
                            > phenomena at
                            > the molecular level. The SFA utilizes the FECO optical
                            > technique for
                            > unambiguous distance measurements. Modifications and
                            > attachments for
                            > performing various types of force measurements were
                            > available. While
                            > I dont remember the price, you could contact the vendor
                            > to get a
                            > quote. Their address is
                            >
                            > SurForce Corporation,
                            > 2233 Foothill Lane,
                            > Santa Barbara, CA 93195.
                            > Phone: (1) 805/899-9292.
                            >
                            > For a description of the Mark III Surface Force
                            > Apparatus see
                            > http://squid.ucsb.edu/~sfalab/mark-III.html
                            > Best of luck
                            > -Sanjeevi

                          • sanjeevi_sivasankar
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 21, 2002
                              Dear Sandeep,
                              There are some issues you need to consider. It seem to me that your
                              goal is to use the SFA to measure the interactions between cells with
                              a dimension of ~ 4 microns. This is not practical. The reason is as
                              follows. The SFA measures the force between two opposing surfaces as
                              a function of the distance separating them. In the SFA, you would
                              need to place your cells on atomically flat mica surface that are
                              back silvered. The SFA measure the distances between the opposing
                              mica surafecs using optical interference. This optical technique only
                              works when the distance between opposing mica surface is less than
                              aproximately 0.01microns. In your case the seperation between
                              opposing surfces will be > 8 microns. Since I donot know what exactly
                              you want to study, I am not sure if this is the case with your
                              experiments. But if this is what you want to do, you might consider
                              an alternate technique like the Atomic Force Microscope.
                              I would be glad to ocassionally give you advice, but since I am not
                              based in India it is not practical. I think it will be much more
                              practical and advantageous for you if you find a collaborator in
                              India who can teach you the technique. I dont mean to sound
                              discouraging, but the SFA is an experimentally challanging technique.
                              It takes quite a bit of time and effort to master the skills required
                              to cleave and glue mica and obtain the macroscopically clean surfaces
                              that the technique demands. I am sure there are people in India who
                              will be able to work with you on this. I did a quick search on the
                              Web and it turns out that Prof. Ganapathy Ayappa in the Chem Eng
                              department at IISc. does work using the SFA. I am sure you will find
                              many others. Since I dont know what exactly you want to study, I am
                              afraid I cannot give you a more intelligent opinion. You might first
                              want to read up on the technique to find out if it will work for you.
                              A good place to start is a product review by Deborah Leckband in the
                              journal Nature approximately 5 or 6 years ago. If you want to get a
                              solid background on surface forces, you might want to read Jacob
                              Israeilachvilis text book 'Intermolecular and Surface Forces'. Hope
                              this helps.
                              -Sanjeevi

                              --- In nanotech@y..., "sandeep malhotra" <eskay_m@r...> wrote:

                              > Dear Dr. Sanjeevi:
                              > It would help again. I'll contact vendor. One more
                              thing- your description of SFA reveals you have much more practical
                              experience handling this unit. As I'm a beginner. Suppose I get the
                              machine, could you be helpful in handling methods precisely. My area
                              of interest is Parasitology, where I've isolated protozoan parasitic
                              disease organisms of fishes. These are sincgle - celled stages
                              measuring, at times 0.00004 mm size. I am trying hard to begin
                              nanostudies in Parasitology so as to attain control initiatives.
                              > sandeep
                            • sandeep malhotra
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 21, 2002
                                Dear Dr. Sanjeevi:
                                Sounds interesting. Your advice is to be respected. I’m thankful indeed. I would indeed like to be in touch with Prof. Ganapathy Ayappa, if you could kindly give me his e-mail id, it could be faster. Coming down to the exact material, it was the organism that I talked about. The effort I wish to begin with has to be the molecules on surface (bio) of these organisms. This is because the adaptability of these organisms is very very specific. (For instance one organism would only survive at one site, not the other, say if one is adaptable in intestine, the other could only be on scales of fish..and so on..). Under the circumstances, if I have to determine specific processes (at the subcellular/molecular level) helping adaptation of one pathogen at one specific site, these characteristics have to vary with variation in pathogen “X” or “Y”. But could this study be of the kind that could be considered under the realms of Nanoscience at all? I also would like to know this…from your kind of experience. I would make it a point to search details of Journal Nature on web. But could you kindly manage to tell the source from which the text book “Intermolecular and Surface Forces” could be purchased? If it is not very costly, I would like to buy it from my personal expenses right away. I belong to University of Allahabad, U.P. To which place you belong, and currently where are you stationed?
                                Sandeep

                              • sandeep malhotra
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 21, 2002
                                  Dear Dr. Sanjeevi:
                                  I got the reference of US$77.95 Jacob
                                  Israeilachvilis text book 'Intermolecular and Surface Forces' on Amazon.com. I'll look for University's Library to buy it.

                                • MAKARAND dhake
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 23, 2002
                                    hii there,
                                    we have started a small firm in mumbai
                                    (india). just have a glance at it.
                                    http://www.geocities.com/mickey_0071/NanotechRDA.html

                                    --- sanjeevi_sivasankar
                                    <sanjeevi_sivasankar@...> wrote:
                                    > Dear Sandeep,
                                    > There are some issues you need to consider. It seem
                                    > to me that your
                                    > goal is to use the SFA to measure the interactions
                                    > between cells with .......
                                  • Srini
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 19, 2002
                                      Hi,
                                      Can anyone give me some references on how I can etch PDMS
                                      (Polydimethylsiloxane)?
                                      Thanks,
                                      Srini.

                                      http://sports.yahoo.com/