NANOBUSINESS ALLIANCE E-NEWS

  • fmmodzelewski
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2001
      NANOBUSINESS ALLIANCE E-NEWS
      December 25, 2001 No. 6 Vol. 1
      -

      INTRODUCTION:

      It has been quite a while since we last touched base but since then a
      lot has happened. As you know I was in Spain speaking at I2NANO in
      Seville, Spain and I can say that it was a great success.

      Last week was another great success in Washington, DC as the
      NanoBusiness Alliance announced that Former House Speaker Newt
      Gingrich has accepted the role of Honorary Chairman of the Alliance.
      We also had the opportunity to spread the word of nanotech on Capitol
      Hill as the Alliance in conjunction with the Progressive Policy
      Institute moderated a panel in front of a jammed pack crowd under the
      Capitol Dome.

      I can honestly say that there was a lot of buzz and excitement in the
      air about the future of nanotech amongst the crowd and it really
      gives credence to what the Alliance and its members are trying to
      accomplish.

      I would just like to give heartfelt thanks for all those who were
      involved in setting up the events and making them run as smoothly as
      they did. I also want to thank Speaker Gingrich, The Progressive
      Policy Institute, our panel members, and especially those who took
      the time to come out and see what nanotechnology and the Alliance is
      all about.

      Look below for a more in depth look at each event.

      On I2NANO, words can't quite capture how beautiful a city Seville
      is. Tim Harper has it much too good living in Spain. A crowd of the
      EU's best tech VC firms was in attendance to hear presentations from
      Guiseppe Curatolo of DFJ, Stephan Herrera of the Herring, Josh Wolfe
      of Lux Capital, Simon Waddington of PolyTechnos Ventures, and Dr.
      Reitberger of Apax Partners. In addition, there were some very
      insightful talks and commentary from folks at NanoLedge (keep an eye
      on them), Ntera, Oxonica, NanoGate, MIC, Minatec, CSEM, and NP
      Nanoproduktor AB.

      My piece was really to drive the need to create organizations like
      the NBA across the globe so that we can work to exchange ideas and
      come together to coordinate and organize the future of nanobusiness.
      I was very pleased with the response and will keep you all abreast of
      how things develop in the EU and elsewhere in the months ahead.

      We aren't going to publish next week due to the season. Have a Happy
      Holidays everyone.

      m.

      F. Mark Modzelewski, Executive Director
      NanoBusiness Alliance
      New York, NY

      -----

      Washington, DC

      Capitol Hilton December 13, 2001
      In a packed meeting room at Washington DC's Capitol Hilton, the
      Nanobusiness Alliance was proud to announce that Former House Speaker
      Newt Gingrich has accepted the position as the Alliance's Honorary
      Chairman. "Nanotechnology is one of the least talked about, yet
      fastest growing and influential sectors of the global economy," said
      the former speaker. Speaker Gingrich went on to say that "Anybody
      who said in 1960 that we would have the ubiquitousness of information
      we currently take for granted would have been seen as someone writing
      science fiction what I'm about to describe will seem like science
      fiction to everybody with amnesia, but will seem pretty reasonable to
      people who have some sense of the history of innovation."

      Speaker Gingrich said that right now, we are on the cusp of major
      breakthroughs in nanotechnology. New advances in this sector will
      lead to major advances that will in fact change the essence of our
      lives. The Speaker compared the nano-revolution to that of the
      breakthrough of physics in the 20th century. Yet in order for this
      revolution to be realized, Speaker Gingrich was very resolute in his
      warning that the United States needs to put more of its resources
      into science and education if it wants to lead the world in
      nanotechnology, the next great wave of technological
      advancement. "Try to understand the basics because if you do, you
      can apply it everywhere," Gingrich said. "Whatever your specialty is,
      simply start asking the question, 'If I could do with this at a very,
      very small level ... how would it change things?' and you'll suddenly
      have people coming in with rich new ideas."

      Capitol Hill December 13, 2001
      After the Gingrich announcement, nanotechnology took the small ride
      from the Capitol Hilton to the United States Capitol. In a meeting
      room in the United States Senate, the Alliance and the Progressive
      Policy Institute went about educating legislative staffers of key
      House and Senate leaders and policy wonks the basics and the
      importance of nanotechnology. The basic message to the jammed packed
      crowd was that if nanotechnology continues to receive the funding,
      results should be close behind.

      The panel, which was moderated by Mark Modzelewski and included Rob
      Atkinson of the Progressive Policy Institute, Josh Wolfe, a managing
      partner with Lux Capital, Steve Johns, senior vice president at
      Ardesta, Mike Roco, chairman of the NNI, Meyya Meyyapan, director of
      nanomaterials at NASA, Dr. Stephen Wilson, New York University and
      Stephen Maebius, Foley & Lardner. The main message of the panel was
      that the nanotechnology industry has a responsibility to uphold
      pressure on lawmakers to continue paying for nanotechnology research
      because of the importance the role government funding plays in
      keeping the United States competitive with other countries in the
      area of nanotechnology research.

      While the role of funding was one of the main issues of the panel,
      Mark Modzelewski also stated that it is important for the
      nanotechnology industry to remain vigilant in becoming more
      aggressive to Washington concerning technology-transfer needs and
      that the nanotechnology industry also should push for a permanent
      research and development tax credit.

      The nano seed was planted in Washington and it shouldn't be long
      until nanotechnology becomes a major policy issue for both the House
      and the Senate and Democrats and Republicans alike.
      NanoBusiness Alliance In The News:

      Nanotechnology is US saviour
      Silicon Valley Dec. 14, 2001
      http://www.vnunet.com/News/1127762

      Gingrich signs up for 'nano' revolution
      Cox Washington Bureau December 14, 2001
      http://www.coxnews.com/washingtonbureau/staff/dart/121401GINGRICH14.ht
      ml

      NANOBUSINESS ALLIANCE GOES TO WASHINGTON, URGES MORE FUNDING AT
      PACKED CAPITOL MEETING
      Small Times Dec. 14, 2001
      http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=2734

      Gingrich Joins NanoBusiness Alliance as Chairman
      At New York Dec. 14, 2001
      http://www.atnewyork.com/news/article/0,1471,8471_939881,00.html

      Gingrich supports nanotech alliance
      UPI Science News December 13, 2001
      http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=13122001-124615-1425r

      NEWT GOES NANO: EX-HOUSE SPEAKER NAMED TO SCIENCE/BUSINESS ALLIANCE
      Small Times Dec.13, 2001
      http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=2728

      ----------------------

      Just another reminder for you all, that on our Website,
      http://www.nanobusiness.org/membership.html, there is a form that you
      can run off and mail in or you can pay for most membership right
      online at that link. Please contact me if you have any further
      questions.

      ------------------------

      Reminder: Nanobusiness Spring
      Penton Media and the Nanobusiness Alliance are pleased to announce
      NanoBusiness Spring 2002 at The Roosevelt Hotel, May 19-21, 2002.
      Nanobusiness Spring is the first industry event dedicated to the
      emerging business of Nanotechnology and Microsystems.

      The conference will have three sessions tracks: Nanobusiness, such
      topics as investment, public policy, and international perspectives;
      Emerging Markets, with panels covering advances in applications and
      commercialization of nano and small technologies; and Technological
      Issues, with panels considering the problems and promise of working
      at the micro and nano level. There will also be a full-day "boot camp
      for entrepreneurs," a dedicated set of panels, workshops and
      presentations for entrepreneurs and academics looking for help in
      finding funding, developing business plans, and otherwise entering
      the marketplace. Entrepreneurs will also have the opportunity to
      present their ideas to venture capitalists and other investors.

      For more information on Nanobusiness Spring 2002, please write to
      nanoquery@... or view the site at http://www.nanobusiness-
      spring.com/ Please specify whether you are interested in speaking,
      exhibiting/sponsoring, or attending.

      -----------------------------
      P.S. - Members, please contact me at: info@... for your
      passwords (and in the case of corporate sponsors-multiple passwords)
      for the new site features that will be popping up over the next few
      weeks.
      -----------------------------
      INDUSTRY NEWS

      CHINA, EMBOLDENED BY BREAKTHROUGHS, SETS OUT TO BECOME NANOTECH POWER
      Small Times Dec. 17, 2001
      http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=2736

      $1.3M raised to aid area nanotechnology
      Philadelphia Business Journal Dec. 17, 2001
      http://philadelphia.bcentral.com/philadelphia/stories/2001/11/19/story
      8.html

      Nanotech encounters new barrier
      Dec. 16, 2001
      http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/1168843

      COMPANIES IN HOT PURSUIT OF SECRET TO MASS-PRODUCING SUPERMOLECULE
      Small Times Dec. 14, 2001
      http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=2732

      BRITISH SCIENTISTS USE NANOTECH TO CREATE SECRET MESSAGE DEVICE
      United Press International Dec. 14, 2001
      http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=2735

      BRITISH SCIENTISTS USE NANOTECH TO CREATE SECRET MESSAGE DEVICE
      UPI Dec. 14, 200
      http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=2735

      CORNELL PROFESSOR USES GRANT TO SEARCH FOR NANOSCALE SWITCH
      Advanced Materials & Processes Dec. 13, 2001
      http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=2731

      VIRGINIA COMPANY TO BRING NANOTECH TO MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
      The Roanoke Times Dec. 12, 2001
      http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=2724

      Nanotechnology Encounters New Barrier
      Hoovers News Dec. 12, 2001
      http://hoovnews.hoovers.com/fp.asp?
      layout=query_displaynews&doc_id=NR200112121180.3_87be00172b06681b

      Pioneering Stanford University Professor Founds Molecular Nanosystems
      BusinessWire Dec. 11, 2001
      http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?bw.121101/213450096

      NANOTECH IDEA WAS DEAD IN THE LAB UNTIL BUSINESSMAN BROUGHT IT TO LIFE
      Small Times Dec. 11, 2001
      http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?
      document_id=2716§ion_id=46,51

      VC funds begin to explore nanotechnology field
      Jerusalem Post Dec 11, 2001
      http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/article.html?
      id=011211010688&query=nanotechnology

      Pioneering Stanford University Professor Founds Molecular Nanosystems
      Dr. Hongjie Dai and Leading Scientists Form New Company To
      Commercialize Nanotechnology Applications
      BUSINESS WIRE Dec. 11, 200
      http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/011211/110096_1.html

      DEUTSCHE BANK LAUNCHES GLOBAL SURVEY TO DISCOVER SECRETS TO NANOTECH
      SUCCESS
      Small Times Dec. 10, 2001
      http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=2715

      Oxonica: Nanoparticle company patents new technology
      Hoovers News Dec. 10, 2001
      http://hoovnews.hoovers.com/fp.asp?
      layout=query_displaynews&doc_id=NR200112103600.1_62b9000e4541cec4

      THE YEAR THAT WAS IN NANOELECTRONICS
      Chemical and Engineering News Dec. 10, 2001
      http://pubs.acs.org/cen/coverstory/7950/7950highlights2001a.html

      New Hubs for Nano
      Tech Review December 11, 2001
      http://www.techreview.com/magazine/dec01/innovation3.asp

      U.K. TRIES TO STRIKE BALANCE BETWEEN THE SCIENCE AND BUSINESS OF
      NANOTECH
      Small Times Dec. 7, 2001
      http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=2699

      TEXAS, CANADA FORGE NANO CONNECTION
      Small Times Dec. 7, 2001
      http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=2700

      NANOCHROMICS DISPLAY BY DENSITRON FORMS BASIS FOR EASY-TO-READ E-BOOKS
      Electronics Times
      Dec. 6, 2001
      http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=2692

      NANOTECH INVESTORS, ENTREPRENEURS SEPARATE VISION FROM SENSELESS RISK
      Small Times Dec. 5, 2001
      http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?
      document_id=2679§ion_id=21,45,51

      VENTURE CAPITALISTS: NANOSCIENCE SHOULD GET DOWN TO NANOBUSINESS
      Small Times Dec. 3, 2001
      http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?
      document_id=2666§ion_id=51

      Silicon Valley urged to prepare for boom
      San Francisco Chronicle Dec. 7, 2001
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?
      file=/chronicle/archive/2001/12/07/BU194279.DTL&type=tech

      Toronto-based nanotech firm nabs $4M, plans move to Houston
      Houston Business Journal Nov. 30, 2001
      http://houston.bcentral.com/houston/stories/2001/12/03/newscolumn4.htm

      NANO-OPTICAL COMPONENTS FIRM RECEIVES $16M IN VENTURE FUNDING
      Small Times Dec. 3, 2001
      http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=2675

      -------------------------------------

      UPCOMING EVENTS:

      NanoTech 2002 Japan, March 6 - 8, 2002, Tokyo, Japan
      For more information visit:
      http://www.ics-inc.co.jp/nanotech/new/open_e.html

      NanoVentures 2002, Nanotechnology Initiative
      March 6-8, Richardson TX Texas
      For more information visit: http://www.nanoventures.ws/

      The Power of Small Tech: The Energy Efficient Solution
      March 11 - 14, 2002, Phoenix, Arizona
      For more information visit: http://www.smalltimes.com/power2002/

      Investing in Nanotechnology II March 19, 2002, Royal Society, London
      For more information visit:http://www.nano.org.uk/events4.htm

      Nanobusiness 2002, Conference and Trade Show, May 19-21, New York,
      New York
      Penton Media and the Nanobusiness Alliance are pleased to announce
      NanoBusiness Spring 2002 at The Roosevelt Hotel, May 19-21, 2002.
      Nanobusiness Spring is the first industry event dedicated to the
      emerging business of Nanotechnology and Microsystems.
      For information, visit: www.nanobusiness-spring.com or write to
      nanoquery@....

      3rd International Euspen Conference, May 26 - May 30, 2002, Eindhoven
      University of Technology, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
      For more information visit: http://euspen2002.wtb.tue.nl/

      --------------------------------------
      Special thanks to our sponsors:

      Ardesta
      Ardesta (www.ardesta.com) the leading industry accelerator for small
      tech. Located in Ann Arbor, Mich., Ardesta is an industry accelerator
      (tm). Dedicated to the development of microsystems and other small
      technologies.

      The company invests in start-ups and early stage companies; provides
      business and technical resources to support these companies; and
      develops industry-building resources. The other companies in
      Ardesta's family include Discera, Sensicore, Translume and HandyLab
      of Ann Arbor, Mich.; Ion Optics of Waltham, Mass.; Micronics of
      Redmond, Wash; and Sarcon Microsystems of Knoxville, Tenn.

      MiddlebergEuro
      Middleberg Euro RSCG specializes in helping well-known and emerging
      brands use communications to grow their businesses amid change caused
      by innovation and technology. As part of Euro RSCG, Middleberg offers
      the senior-level attention and value of a small firm with access to
      the fifth-largest agency network worldwide. The agency focuses on
      four practice areas: Business Technology, Financial Services, Life
      Sciences and Consumer Marketing and Technology. Middleberg's
      Strategic Services unit provides clients with project-based
      communications solutions designed to immediately boost ongoing
      strategic initiatives. Additional information can be found at
      www.middleberg.com.

      Outrider
      Outrider is a leading global online marketing agency, providing
      solutions that drive measurable results for the largest companies in
      the world.
      http://www.outrider.com/

      Penton Media
      Penton Media is a leading, global business-to-business media company
      that produces market-focused magazines, trade shows and conferences,
      and online media. Penton's integrated media portfolio serves the
      following industries: Internet/broadband; information technology;
      electronics; natural products; food/retail; manufacturing;
      design/engineering; supply chain; aviation; government/compliance;
      mechanical systems/construction; and leisure/hospitality.
      http://www.penton.com/

      Foley & Lardner
      Foley & Lardner is one of the oldest and largest law firms in
      America. Founded in 1842, the firm now has more than 1000 attorneys
      in 16 markets. Foley & Lardner has six firm-wide departments that
      encompass all of the firm's attorneys: Business Law, Health Law,
      Intellectual Property, Litigation, Regulatory and Tax and Individual
      Planning. www.foleylaw.com

      Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu
      About Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu: Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu is one of
      the world's leading professional service firms, delivering world-
      class assurance and advisory, tax, and consulting services. More than
      92,000 people in over 130 countries serve nearly one-fifth of the
      world's largest companies as well as large national enterprises,
      public institutions, and successful, fast-growing companies. Our
      internationally experienced professionals deliver seamless,
      consistent services wherever our clients operate. Our mission is to
      help our clients and our people excel. www.deloitte.com

      -------

      ABOUT THE NANOBUSINESS ALLIANCE:

      The NanoBusiness Alliance's mission is to create a collective voice
      for the advancing nanotechnology industry and develop a range of
      initiatives to support the nanotechnology and small tech business
      community. Among the NanoBusiness Alliance's goals are the
      development of research and education programs, public policy and
      lobbying initiatives, public awareness campaigns, and industry
      support networks. The NanoBusiness Alliance is located in New York,
      NY and soon will be opening an additional office in Washington, DC.
      www.nanobusiness.org

      ---To subscribe or unsubscribe please send a message
      to:info@...---