Re: artificol nanobots!!

  • spider_boris
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 29, 2001
      --- In nanotech@y..., "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience@p...> wrote:
      > asoshaz123 wrote:
      > >
      > > hi frinds!!!
      > > I need some help about the algorithmes for
      > > nanobots and making ananobotes self assembler!
      > > thanks a lot !
      > > aso.
      >
      > Dear Aso,
      >
      > Don't believe those fuddy-duddies at the Foresight Institute who
      say that
      > building nanotechnology will require years and billions of dollars.
      > Building your own assembler is easy.
      >
      > You'll need:
      >
      > An atomic-force microscope
      > Graph paper
      > A GNU C compiler
      > Two AA batteries
      > A bag of Hershey's chocolates
      >
      > Obtaining an atomic-force microscope is easy, although most people
      already
      > own one (check around in your garage). Today's AFMs are cheaper
      than
      > ever, and several sets of online instructions show how you can
      construct
      > your own AFM from Legos and duct tape. I picked up my own AFM for
      five
      > bucks at a garage sale.

      Actually, they really _aren't_ that hard to build. The first AFM is
      what, ten years old? and our technology is much better now. I
      received my SPM tips for free (yes, free) at http://www.mikromasch.com

      > Once you have your AFM, your next step is to design the assembler,
      being
      > careful to show the exact positions of all atoms on your sheets of
      graph
      > paper. (You may want to consult the Periodic Table of Elements
      from time
      > to time if you're not sure about the exact properties of a given
      element,
      > or refer back to your high-school physics books for a full
      explanation of
      > molecular binding forces.) This should take a couple of days, or a
      week
      > if it's your first assembler design. A typical assembler might
      contain a
      > trillion atoms, so you should probably get a full package of graph
      paper
      > from an office supply store in advance.

      As an alternative, solve the protein-folding problem, design your
      assembler, and work backwards to find the correct DNA sequence, so
      that ribosomes can build your first assembler for you. Program it
      with DNA, too. The correct sequence is probably stuck in some
      unexpressed part of your cat's DNA, so simply turn on that gene and
      BOOM you have your nanoassembler.

      :) ed