Disparate pace of law and technology

  • David Forrest
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2001
      Thanks to Kris Holley for finding this article on human cloning and
      the desire by some to regulate it:

      http://cnn.technology.emailthis.clickability.com/et/emailThis?clickMap=viewThis&etMailToID=490262681

      From my perspective, this continues to demonstrate how technological
      advances lead regulatory control. (I'm not necessarily advocating
      regulatory control for human cloning.) But in the case of
      nanotechnology I have proposed a regulatory framework
      (http://crit.org/http://www.foresight.org/NanoRev/Forrest1989.html).
      It seems likely that nothing like this will be implemented prior to
      the development of molecular assembler systems. In the absence of
      that, all we have now are the IMM and Foresight Guidelines
      (http://www.imm.org/guidelines/current.html) and whatever inadequate
      laws can be adopted to molecular assembler systems (discussed in my
      1989 paper).

      David Forrest