Re: Do Shadows [Souls] have weight?

  • Mark Gubrud
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2001
      E-Rex wrote:

      > If so is this mass counted when trying to calculate the total weight
      > of the universe? If not then how do we explain the exsistance of
      > shadows, something that obviously exists.

      I take this to be a question thrown in my direction, since I have asked
      rhetorically whether entities such as "pattern", used in "transhumanist"
      mythology as stand-ins for the concept of "soul" or "life force", have
      mass or any other physically measurable quality of existence which is
      separable from the so-called "substrate" of actual material (energy or
      whatever).

      The argument here is that "shadows... obviously exist." But actually,
      they obviously do not exist in the sense of physical things, i.e. all
      things that do obviously exist. Rather, they may be said to exist only
      in the same sense in which the soul, for example, or "the force of life"
      may be said to actually exist, i.e. in the sense that actual matter in
      the forms corresponding to the objects described by these terms exists.

      Thus, "human souls" are quite unremarkably said to exist, roughly 6
      billion of them at last report, and the "force of life" is said, with
      understood meaning, to be manifest in the unfolding of that physical
      life which unquestionably exists.

      In the case of shadows, actual light in a distribution of propagation
      angles described by the words "there is a shadow" exists, although "the
      shadow" considered as an object in itself is but a phantom of the mind,
      i.e. its appearance as constituting an object in the same sense as, say,
      an egg or a neutron bomb, is merely an artifact of the way in which
      one's brain strives to represent the world.

      Likewise, the concept of "soul" is an ancient attempt to capture and
      objectify the idea of persons as experienced simultaneously in physical
      and in social terms. It fails the moment one conceives of it as an
      object that is separable from the human body. If we remember that
      "identity" is fundamentally a social phenomenon, i.e. that one's
      "identity" has meaning only in relation to others, then we are able to
      see the absurdity of supposing that "identity" is a substance of some
      sort that could be transferred from ourselves to some other object.
    • Max Sims
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 14, 2001
        Greetings all. I am doing a car design exterior as well as interior and
        will incorporate early nanotech since they want something "wild". I want to
        make a strong diamonoid morphable skin but i know this is farther out than
        2010. What near term MNT or even MEMS tech do you see and what would you
        like to see in a 4 wheeled global mobility device? Are there sources you
        can cite that I can use to explain to non Miller point types?

        Max Sims
        49 Showers Drive
        A-233
        Mountain View, CA 94040
        650 947-3631

        email: max@...
      • Eugene Leitl
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 15, 2001
          On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Max Sims wrote:

          > Greetings all. I am doing a car design exterior as well as interior and
          > will incorporate early nanotech since they want something "wild". I want to
          > make a strong diamonoid morphable skin but i know this is farther out than
          > 2010. What near term MNT or even MEMS tech do you see and what would you

          Ha ha ha ha.

          > like to see in a 4 wheeled global mobility device? Are there sources you
          > can cite that I can use to explain to non Miller point types?

          MEMS, inertial navigation. NEMS: nope, zilch, zero. Nanocomposites, maybe.
          Carbon nanotube composites would come to mind. All near term, as a decade.