cloning ban is likely

  • David Forrest
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1 9:20 AM
      Whichever side of this issue you're on, this is important news:

      http://www.forbes.com/2001/08/01/0801topnews.html

      Note the observation that the ban will simply push the research out
      of the United States to other countries. It was also interesting to
      note the limited amount of debate involved.

      Political agendas 1
      Critical debate 0

      David
    • Steven Guy
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1 2:32 PM

        David Forrest wrote:

        Whichever side of this issue you're on, this is important news:

        http://www.forbes.com/2001/08/01/0801topnews.html

        Note the observation that the ban will simply push the research out
        of the United States to other countries.

        Maybe this is a good thing?
        Why should one country 'run the world'?
         It was also interesting to
        note the limited amount of debate involved.

        Political agendas   1
        Critical debate     0

        Well, maybe the United States needs to consider compulsory voting? We have it in Australia and 99% of the adult population votes. We may not always get good government but we know that we put them there!

        Maybe the members of 'Foresight' can vote for all of us in the future?
        ;-))

        Steven

      • Samantha Atkins
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2 2:07 AM
          Steven Guy wrote:

          > David Forrest wrote:
          >
          > > Whichever side of this issue you're on, this is important
          > >
          > > http://www.forbes.com/2001/08/01/0801topnews.html
          > >
          > > Note the observation that the ban will simply push the
          > > research out
          > > of the United States to other countries.
          >
          > Maybe this is a good thing?
          > Why should one country 'run the world'?

          Why should a country poised with so much technology and wealth
          not be involved in such an important area? Don't we all stand
          to lose about the loss of that technological, scientific and
          economic support for the work?

          > > It was also interesting to
          > > note the limited amount of debate involved.
          > >
          > > Political agendas 1
          > > Critical debate 0
          >
          > Well, maybe the United States needs to consider compulsory
          > voting? We have it in Australia and 99% of the adult
          > population votes. We may not always get good government but we
          > know that we put them there!

          Because compulsory voting is the worse kind of oxymoron. You
          only know you were forced to vote, even if it was only between
          Tweedledee and Tweedledum. How can you figure you got what you
          asked for when you weren't even allowed to decided whether to
          vote?

          > Maybe the members of 'Foresight' can vote for all of us in the
          > future?

          For what role?

          - samantha