Skip to search.

Re: [[nanotech] Digest Number 482]

  • Steve Wish
    Message 1 of 96 , Jun 29, 2001

      Chris Phoenix wrote: I've *never*

      understood why cyborgs are supposed to go insane.  We don't need to
      worry about the consequences of cyborgs--we've had cyborgs for decades.
       cyborgs be us... the answer to your question of why cyborgs alwas go insane, has nothing to do with science.... your question more  is more correctly phrased "Why do the fictional representations of cyborgs always go insane?"

      The answer is;  because  writers need villians. They cant use Jews or Chinese or Blacks any more, so they have to invent a class of horrifying aliens... partially human for maximum horror... Stupid, but they are writers, not scientists... I suspect that eventually the National Association of Cyborgs will force the writers to pick on some other class of horrible monsters.

      Your question is like the puzzle "Why do movie cowboys break out the windows before they shoot through?".. the answer; "They don't  have bullets in their guns."... frame of reference is everything.....;-)... wish

    • Eugene Leitl
      Message 96 of 96 , Jul 9, 2001
        I don't think transhumanist issues are appropriate for a technical (well,
        it should be a technical) list.

        -- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204/">leitl</a>
        ICBMTO : N48 10'07'' E011 33'53'' http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204