Re: [nanotech] Re: can nanotech be introduced into our bodies?

  • Steve Wish
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 29, 2001

      DonSaxman@... wrote:

      .  If they had had a tradition of
      interdisciplinary "talk the problem to death and figure out what will go
      wrong,"  there would have been a lot fewer dead Indians.

      that is so wrong... they could have talked and did talk, hold conferences, appeal to the pope and so on, but they would have  had to talked until the birth of Pasteur before they could have hadf any handle on infectious diseases....
      Two points... Pleny of Europeans died of American diseases, and in fact continue to so do. In a large part,  African slaves were imported because whites literally couldn't live in the coastal areas of the New World due to malaria. .

      The second point is that the Europeans were allowed, forced, to explore the world by the social disruptions of the Black Death. One third of the population died, and the resulting redistribution of wealth was one of the primary forces that led to the end of the Medevial Era.... See Tuchman's "A Distant Mirror"...wish

    • Eugene Leitl
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 3, 2001
        On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Ed Minchau wrote:

        > The one major nuclear accident in the USSR (Chernobyl) was *not* due

        There have been several nuclear accidents in former USSRs and successor
        states history. In fact the "normal operation" of USSR/successors nuke
        shops can be considered a chronical calamity.

        > to faulty or "primitive" design. It was due to a few drunken
        > engineers pulling all the control rods out of the reactor, to see how
        > much power they could generate before the reactor blew its top...
        > just sober enough to do it, and just drunk enough to not think about
        > the consequences.

        Don't spread false rumours. What happened is that a) they were running an
        experiment b) in low power the reactor behaviour was very unstable, and
        they had to switch off the automatical shutdown to be able to conduct the
        experiment c) the control rods did have a paradoxical effect on
        criticality during early insertion.

        So, IIRC they went into low regime (with automation switched off), and
        starved the reactor. Then then attempted to go higher, but the reactor was
        just sitting there. Then, they suddenly got a monster surge, panicked, and
        manually triggered the emergency rods, which in the early insertion stage
        actually enhanced the criticality.

        The rest is history.

        These things are easy to judge in the retrospective, unfortunately only in
        the retrospective.

        -- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204/">leitl</a>
        ICBMTO : N48 10'07'' E011 33'53'' http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204