photonic bandgap material

  • David Forrest
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2001
      I know this isn't nanotechnology, but it's relevant to materials
      design, optical communications, and optical computing. -DRF

      http://www.newsandevents.utoronto.ca/bin2/010510c.asp
      In the May 11 issue of Science, U of T physics professor Sajeev John
      and graduate student Ovidiu Toader report that they have created a
      blueprint of a three-dimensional photonic bandgap crystal that opens
      a new door for the development of devices like all-optical
      micro-transistors, optical wavelength converters and other components
      for optical microchips. They say it is a simple design that has
      potentially far-reaching implications for the networking and
      telecommunications industry.