New York Times nano

  • Gina Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 1999
      Forward from John Clark:

      According to today's New York Times several important advances will be
      announced
      in the scientific journals in the next few weeks. A long time ago, way back
      in July,
      a molecular switch was made for the first time, however it had limited
      usefulness
      because it could only switch once. In about 2 weeks a Yale chemist, Mark
      Reed,
      will publish an article in Science describing a molecular switch that can be
      turned on
      and off indefinitely . Of course you'd still have to wire all those switches
      together
      to make a computer, but in a separate development Hewlett Packard found a
      easy way to make a grid of conductive lines 10 atoms wide and 50 atoms
      apart.
      Reed must be a busy man, he also said he will make an announcement on
      December 6 at the International Electron Device conference in Washington
      about
      using his molecular switches for RAM memory, he won't release details about
      his memory device until then.

      The NYT quotes a bunch of experts about the very recent developments,
      they said some interesting stuff:

      "We're on the scent, and we know the fox is out there."

      "It feels like we're a year before the invention of the transistor."

      "In two to five years you will begin to see functioning circuits which
      are of recognizable utility."

      "If you can make computers as easily as photographic film a
      lot of companies are going to be wondering what they're doing
      with their 15 billion dollar fabrication plants".

      One remark would certainly catch Eliezer's eye, Reed said:

      "This should scare the pants off anyone working in silicon.
      It will be dirt cheap and it will create a discontinuity."

      John K Clark jonkc@...