Re: [nanotech] Memes vs. miruses

  • J. R. Molloy
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 4, 2001
      From: "Mark Gubrud" <mgubrud@...>

      > I still haven't gotten an answer.

      Possible insight: Brains infected with malicious memes should be excluded
      from uninfected populations to prevent a pandemic. Until someone develops
      a vaccine for the theology meme, those who are not immune (children,
      feeble-minded) deserve a theology meme-free zone.
    • Mark Gubrud
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 4, 2001
        On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, J. R. Molloy wrote:

        > Possible insight: Brains infected with malicious memes should be excluded
        > from uninfected populations to prevent a pandemic. Until someone develops
        > a vaccine for the theology meme, those who are not immune (children,
        > feeble-minded) deserve a theology meme-free zone.

        Do you really think that a single religious person would be able to infect
        an unmaccinated population of atheists with the mirus of faith?

        It seems to me that religion is deeply embedded in culture and is
        inculcated from early childhood. In adopting a religion, people are
        usually conforming to a group. The religion offers much more than an
        isolated "meme"; it provides many, many ideas, a complete world system, a
        moral order, and above all a community. It provides rituals, images,
        magic and mystery, passion, ecstasy, release and serenity. It comes with
        enforcement mechanisms for those who stray from the flock, regular
        refresher doses of theology, or hellfire and brimstone, whatever keeps
        people coming back. It is an institution, a society and culture unto
        itself. How much of that do you explain by calling it a "meme"?

        An isolated jesus freak in a world of atheists would quickly become an
        atheist, or, if she did not, people would just think she was crazy.
      • Samantha Atkins
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 5, 2001
          "J. R. Molloy" wrote:

          > From: "Mark Gubrud" <mgubrud@...>
          > >
          > > I still haven't gotten an answer.
          >
          > Possible insight: Brains infected with malicious memes should be excluded
          > from uninfected populations to prevent a pandemic. Until someone develops
          > a vaccine for the theology meme, those who are not immune (children,
          > feeble-minded) deserve a theology meme-free zone.

          It is a very dangerous meme indeed that preaches the segregation of
          people for what ideas and notions are in their heads! Are people with
          sweet reason and other forms of antimemeotics rather than locking up
          those whose memes displease you.

          - samantha
        • Andrew Martin
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 5, 2001
            > Possible insight: Brains infected with malicious memes should be excluded
            from uninfected populations to prevent a pandemic. Until someone develops a
            vaccine for the theology meme, those who are not immune (children,
            feeble-minded) deserve a theology meme-free zone.

            I believe the best way is free, universal and ongoing education of the
            population. The evidence is third world and first world countries.

            Andrew Martin
            ICQ: 26227169 http://members.nbci.com/AndrewMartin/
            -><-