nano stocks ?

  • morinjeanp@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
      Dear nanotech lovers,

      As a member of "Le groupe des investisseurs pour les nouvelles
      technologies en devenir", I am intensively looking for information
      about companies in the nanotechnology field. This French group of
      investors seeks information about compagnies in the new technologies
      field (biotechnology, biometrics, nanotechnology, etc.) We make
      predictions and recommand our picks to several university students
      and teachers who are interested in new technologies.

      As for nanotech companies, I was rather disappointed to find only 5
      nanotech companies on the stocks market.

      Nano World Project Corp.
      Nanogen Inc.
      Nanometrics Inc.
      Nanophase Technologies Corp
      NanoPierce Technologies Inc

      The Nanometrics Inc. seemed to be the most interesting company with
      also Nanophase Technologies Corp (and its nanocrystalline materials).

      The Nano World Project Corp. seemed to me to be the less interesting
      one as it has been rather inactive in the last few months (other than
      its fusion with Euroinks on November 22, 2000)

      So my question is the following :

      In your opinion, what nanotech company do you think will have the
      best development during the next TWO years ?

      Do you also know any other nanotech company that I didnt list, and if
      so, what are their stock symbols ?

      Finally, any interesting links that I may have missed ? (already read
      a few, the foresight institute, etc.)

      Sorry about my English,

      Sincerely,

      Jean-Philippe Morin
      Etudiant a L'Universite Laval
      Conseiller et developpeur du departement de management pour les
      nouvelles technologies et systemes informatiques.
      morinjeanp@... / jean-philippe.morin@...
    • Ed Minchau
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2001
        --- In nanotech@egroups.com, morinjeanp@h... wrote:

        > Dear nanotech lovers,
        >
        > As a member of "Le groupe des investisseurs pour les nouvelles
        > technologies en devenir", I am intensively looking for information
        > about companies in the nanotechnology field. This French group of
        > investors seeks information about compagnies in the new
        technologies
        > field (biotechnology, biometrics, nanotechnology, etc.) We make
        > predictions and recommand our picks to several university students
        > and teachers who are interested in new technologies.
        >
        > As for nanotech companies, I was rather disappointed to find only 5
        > nanotech companies on the stocks market.
        >
        > Nano World Project Corp.
        > Nanogen Inc.
        > Nanometrics Inc.
        > Nanophase Technologies Corp
        > NanoPierce Technologies Inc
        >
        > The Nanometrics Inc. seemed to be the most interesting company with
        > also Nanophase Technologies Corp (and its nanocrystalline
        materials).

        > The Nano World Project Corp. seemed to me to be the less
        interesting
        > one as it has been rather inactive in the last few months (other
        than
        > its fusion with Euroinks on November 22, 2000)
        >
        > So my question is the following :
        >
        > In your opinion, what nanotech company do you think will have the
        > best development during the next TWO years ?
        >
        > Do you also know any other nanotech company that I didnt list, and
        if
        > so, what are their stock symbols ?

        Check out the following webpage:
        http://nanotech.about.com/science/nanotech/cs/companies/index.htm

        Hope that helps! :) ed

      • ggmoney123@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2001
          Check out CALMEC (California Molecular Electronics)
          They are NOT currenlty listed, but they are attempting to raise funds via a
          DIRECT IPO. You can purchase shares through their online transfer agent in
          100 share increments at $6/share USD.

          visit them at www.calmec.com

          gino
        • thefirstimmortal@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2001
            Dear nanotech lovers,

            > The Nanometrics Inc. seemed to be the most interesting company with
            > also Nanophase Technologies Corp (and its nanocrystalline
            materials).

            > In your opinion, what nanotech company do you think will have the
            > best development during the next TWO years ?

            Nanometrics has a nice P/E of 13.88, and despite a fourth quarter
            earnings warning, is overall the safest nano haven for the next year
            or two.
            Nanometrics is on the cutting edge of thin film technology. Each thin
            film thickness measurement system is equipped with computerized
            readout capability for measurement, visualization and control of film
            uniformity.
            Nanometrics has developed new automated systems and tabletop
            products for emerging technologies using larger substrates such as
            300-millimeter wafers and larger flat panel displays.
            The primary market served by the company is the semiconductor
            industry, which utilizes these products to monitor processes employed
            in the fabrication of advanced integrated circuits. Other important
            markets are the flat panel display and magnetic head industries.
            Manufacturers are quickly adopting new processes and technologies that
            increase the importance and utilization of thin film metrology
            systems. To achieve greater semiconductor device speed, manufacturers
            are using copper and new insulating materials that require enhanced
            metrology solutions for the manufacturing process.
            Although semiconductor companies and the capital equipment concerns
            that supply them have gone out of favor in recent weeks, the markets
            that Nanometrics competes in are expected to stay strong. The
            integrated metrology market is still expected to grow quickly over the
            coming two years, as companies seek new ways to increase the yields
            from the current manufacturing processes and improve overall
            productivity.
            According to a recent industry report from Needham & Company, "the
            integrated metrology market should grow at a compound annual rate of
            90% to 100% over the next two years," which is about twice as fast as
            the process control market.
            Nanometrics competes against KLA Tencor (KLAC) and Therma-wave
            (TWAV) in the non-metal thin film metrology market and was able to
            capture about 12% of it in 2000.
            In the integrated metrology equipment arena, Nanometrics is
            benefiting from its relationship with Applied Materials, IBM, Motorola
            and Texas Instruments.
            The company is also benefiting from demand for equipment that helps to
            make and monitor the quality of flat panel displays. The steady stream
            of new notebooks, desktop monitors, and handheld devices should
            continue to help drive sales in this growing market.
            Nanometrics reported another excellent quarter in October, posting
            diluted share profits of $0.33, which came in four cents ahead of
            consensus expectations. This represented a 230% advance over last
            year's share profit results. Overall revenues came in at $20.7
            million, more than doubling last year's third-quarter total. The
            company continues to see robust growth in Asia, with Taiwan, Japan and
            Korea now representing 62% of the company's sales.
            The company did however have an order in Korea moved (Not Cancelled)
            to next quarter, and that caused a recent 25% drop on it's price that
            was all but erased today on Alan's .5 cut.
            Nanometrics has a rock-solid balance sheet. It has $96 million in
            cash and short-term investments. The current ratio is 13-to-1, and it
            has only $2 million in long term debt, which it could easily dissolve
            with one payment from its ample cash supply. Nanometrics has a
            history of crushing estimates. It has beat estimates for eight
            straight quarters, which means that the 2000 and 2001 forecasts are
            probably too low in spite of the Korean thing.
            Given its hypergrowth revenue pace and the fact that the company
            competes in a niche of the semi-cap equipment market that is growing
            faster than the industry as a whole, I believe that Nanometrics
            carries a high rewarding risk/reward situation.
            Bottom Line I would take advantage of the recent weakness in the
            Nasdaq and in the semiconductor sector to buy into Nanometrics at less
            than 16.

            Rev. William O'Rights
            Live Long and Well.
          • John McCulloch
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2001
              Although it is an interesting investment prospect, Nanometrics treats
              atoms in bulk and does not develop technology relevant to nanotech
              assemblers or replicators.

              Symbols for the few publicly traded firms that produce technology
              directly relevant to MNT (Molecular Nanotechology) are listed below:

              AMEV - Applied Molecular Evolution
              VECO - Veco Instruments, Inc.
              HGSI - Human Genome Sciences
              TMO - Thermo Electron Corp.
              PCOP - Pharmacoepia, Inc.

              Molecular Robotics (MRBI) seems to be no longer publicly traded. You
              may want to check their web site. http://www.molecular-robotics.com

              Good Luck,
              John McCulloch
            • John McCulloch
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 5, 2001
                Veeco is the correct spelling for Veco Instruments. Digital
                Instruments, a maker of SPMs, merged with Veeco in 1998.