Immortality Chat

  • Gina Miller
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 19, 1999
      A forward:

      Full court press on immortality discussion!

      Tomorrow at 1pm EST (10am PST), there will be a live chat on ABC
      news with Ben Bova about his book on Immortality.

      The URL is:
      http://chat.abcnews.go.com/chat/chat.dll?room=bova991018

      While Bova's book is not "wonderful" from a science perspective
      it does do a good job addressing why "immortality" is inevitable.
      (See my review on Amazon.com).

      So lets stack the deck and get lots of questions or opinions
      in on *what* we would do if we could live forever! Also
      lets toss in some tidbits on nanotech (grossly undercovered
      in Bova's book and Nanomedicine -- now that the book is out...)

      Robert J. Bradbury
    • steve wishnevsky
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 20, 1999
        Gina Miller wrote:

        > From: "Gina Miller" <nanogirl@...>
        >
        > A forward:
        >
        > Full court press on immortality discussion!
        >
        > Tomorrow at 1pm EST (10am PST), there will be a live chat on ABC
        > news with Ben Bova about his book on Immortality.

        speaking of immortality, i have opened a new onelist, called
        netmind@onelist.com to discuss the coming global conciousness based on the
        internet.. One byproduct of the evolution of the netmind might well be a
        realizable immortality. It might even happen within a few decades.... if
        interested, join us... wild ideas accepted....thank you for your time...
        steve w.
      • Eugene Leitl
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 1999
          Is this just me, or does anybody else find this ongoing list
          fragmentation pointless? Divided communities are isolated
          communities. As long as the focus is maintaned and message flux
          remains tolerable there is absolutely no reason in forking off a yet
          another list.

          steve wishnevsky writes:
          > speaking of immortality, i have opened a new onelist, called
          > netmind@onelist.com to discuss the coming global conciousness based on the
          > internet.. One byproduct of the evolution of the netmind might well be a
          > realizable immortality. It might even happen within a few decades.... if
          > interested, join us... wild ideas accepted....thank you for your time...
          > steve w.
        • steve wishnevsky
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 1999
            Eugene Leitl wrote:

            > From: Eugene Leitl <eugene.leitl@...-muenchen.de>
            >
            > Is this just me, or does anybody else find this ongoing list
            > fragmentation pointless?

            didn't see much discussion on nanotech..... i'm not a scientist and didn't want
            to mess up a serious list.... sorry if i offend your sense of order... steve w.
          • Eugene Leitl
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 1999
              steve wishnevsky writes:

              > Eugene Leitl wrote:
              >
              > > From: Eugene Leitl <eugene.leitl@...-muenchen.de>
              > >
              > > Is this just me, or does anybody else find this ongoing list
              > > fragmentation pointless?
              >
              > didn't see much discussion on nanotech..... i'm not a scientist and didn't want
              > to mess up a serious list.... sorry if i offend your sense of order... steve w.

              nanotech@onelist.com has been created despite nsg-d@...
              having had existed for several years. If only people would check
              (whether by websearch or asking) whether similiar lists exist before
              starting their own. Needless framentation hurts anybody, and has only
              very little to do with subjective sense of order.