Re: [nanotech] Sci-fi Writers

  • Christopher J. Phoenix
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 4, 2000
      At 10:34 AM 12/3/00 -0500, Steve Wish wrote:
      > thank you for your lucid comments. My math background is barely able
      >to cope with arithmetic, but I suppose I could find a physicist to lead
      >me un astray. For example, I don't suppose hand held lasers will be
      >built for quite a while, if ever, but lots of people use them. Could
      >anybody give me a guesstimate on how much pressure a woven nanotube tank
      >might hold? Perhaps as a matrix of hollow fibers? I'm not trying to be
      >Robert Forward, but I would like to be plausable. Thank you... wish

      My math really isn't too far above arithmetic either.

      For a guesstimate of pressure, check out http://www.nanomedicine.com/10.3.html
      Robert's example: a 1-micron spherical tank with 5 nm (~30 C atoms) thick
      walls can hold 1000 atm with a safety factor of 5 (if the walls are as
      strong as diamond). Pressure is directly proportional to wall thickness and
      material strength, and inversely proportional to radius, as shown by
      equation 10.13.

      Chris
      --
      Chris Phoenix cphoenix@... http://www.best.com/~cphoenix
      Work (Reading Research Council): http://www.dyslexia.com
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 9, 2000
        Mark Gubrud wrote:

        > Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
        >
        > > Okay, end of thread.
        >
        > In your wet electric dreams, robot boy.

        Andrew Martin said that it doesn't belong on "nanotech", and my judgement
        is that he's right, unless Gina Miller steps in and says otherwise. If
        you want to take this further, we can do it in private, or, if you must
        have a public forum, on the Extropian mailing list. I don't know why
        you're doing this, but it is not the business of the nanotechnology
        discussion list. End of thread.

        Eliezer S. Yudkowsky http://singinst.org/