Evolving Nanoparts

  • Gina Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 1999
      And then Robert Bradbury says:

      Here is another example of something where we are closer than I thought.

      Slashdot has this article "Genetic Algorithm Generated Lego Bridge":
      See: http://slashdot.org/articles/99/10/02/2140232.shtml
      There is a home page for the software (DEMO: Dynamical & Evolutionary
      Machine Organization):
      See: http://www.demo.cs.brandeis.edu/index.html
      and the page where you can watch the bridge being built:
      See: http://www.demo.cs.brandeis.edu/pr/buildable/anim1.html
      [One of the best examples I've seen of a real use for Java
      (instead of those that reprogram the back button on your browser!)]
      They also do Cranes, Tables and Trees.

      They apparently used a 1000 Pentium-II Beowulf cluster from
      Genetic Programming:
      See: http://www.genetic-programming.com/machine1000.html

      Now, what makes this cool is that it means we pretty much have the
      software methods and processing resources *in hand* to evolve
      nanoscale parts. What we need are the part descriptions similar
      to what they used to describe the bridge, crane, tree, etc.

      My optimism just went up another notch.

      Robert