Re: HTML in list mail Re: [nanotech] Sci-fi Writers

  • Gina Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2000
      I can manually edit out anything suspicious, and have done so, when
      I have seen unrecognizable code at the bottom of email, during a virus
      scare. Since I approve each email before the posting to the list, I will
      try to monitor this more closely, sometimes, when there are a lot of
      messages, this can become more difficult to do, but I will be on the look
      out, thanks. Gina

      > Gina, as a list moderator, what is your policy on HTML in email?
      >
      > (It is rather obvious that rendering rich context opens a Pandora's
      > box of crash tags, tracer tags, worms/viruses (which have started
      > spreading through several mailing lists I'm on like wildfire -- the
      > more tragically that these are the senior scientists without much
      > computer clue who get hit) but of course this is your list, so you
      > decide).
      >
      > Myself, I'm immune against viruses, and can get rid of tracer tags by
      > switching HTML rendering off (I'm reading email mostly offline,
      > anyway). I've thought about writing a script which automatically
      > complains about HTML to the original author, and get as much people as
      > possible to use it.
      >
      > Before you ask, eGroups ignores my default (only deliver as plain
      > text).
      >
      > Steve Wish writes:
      >
      > > <HTML>
    • Christopher J. Phoenix
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2000
        I should point out that the latest AOL software can _only_ send HTML, not
        plain text. This is bad, but we already knew that AOL is bad. Anyway, if
        you prohibit HTML you will be shutting out some AOL users; if you allow it,
        you will be inconveniencing those (like me) who deliberately use an old
        text-only mailer.

        I was going to say that some of my best friends are AOL users, but it's
        actually not true. :-)

        It would be very nice if egroups would implement an automatic HTML-to-text
        converter. Meanwhile, I can read HTML, it's just uglier.

        Chris

        --
        Chris Phoenix cphoenix@... http://www.best.com/~cphoenix
        Work (Reading Research Council): http://www.dyslexia.com