Re: [nanotech] Sci-fi Writers

  • DonSaxman@aol.com
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 1, 2000
      In a message dated 11/30/2000 9:58:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      CJHormes@... writes:

      << Mike, that's great! At least you got published, I'm still working on my
      first
      draft of the first novel. :-) What games did you have your hands in? >>

      Actually, it was me (Donald Saxman) who wrote the games. My first one was
      "Superhero 2044" which was the first comic book role playing game. This was
      nearly 25 years ago. Then I did "Nuclear Survivors" and "Planet Polymath."
      I also did a parody game called "Slasher Flick." My videotext online game
      was "Strange World."

      Superhero 2044 used cryonics and nano-medicone and "radio wisker" material a
      lot (remember that stuff?) Planet polymath used terraforming micro-machines.

      Strange World (which was online 10-12 years ago, back when I was writing and
      editing "Nanotechnology & Microengineering Progress" newsletter used
      nanotechnology as one of its basic premises. It also featured a
      "non-player-character" called the "Nanotinker" who sold nanotechnology-based
      equipment to the players.

      This was a technology versus magic versus time traveler game, and a
      "nanocannon" (that show a stream of dis-assemblers) was the only
      technology-based weapon that could kill certain kinds of magical beings like
      werewolves. They were made of "pseudo-flesh," was was the magical equivalent
      of nano-enhancement. Instead of tiny micromachines, werewolves were
      "infected" with millions of very very tiny semi-intelligent monsters.
    • Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 9, 2000
        Mark Gubrud wrote:

        > Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
        >
        > > Okay, end of thread.
        >
        > In your wet electric dreams, robot boy.

        Andrew Martin said that it doesn't belong on "nanotech", and my judgement
        is that he's right, unless Gina Miller steps in and says otherwise. If
        you want to take this further, we can do it in private, or, if you must
        have a public forum, on the Extropian mailing list. I don't know why
        you're doing this, but it is not the business of the nanotechnology
        discussion list. End of thread.

        Eliezer S. Yudkowsky http://singinst.org/