Nano Thoughts (general)

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2000
      Hello Group

      Well, I just joined...I would describe myself as a futurist,
      slight transhumanist (though not totally convinced, Artist, Techie,
      and general typical male person.

      I loved reading Drexlers book (Engines of Creation) however I have
      yet to read the others (Nanosystems, EOC200, etc). I generally catch
      the drift though about how the theories go

      Question 1:
      Does anyone actually think that we will see a real drexlerian future
      whereas the, as Richard Smalley called it, silly side of
      nanotechnology come into fruitation? If so, when about would a
      estimated 1st generation assembler come to be?

      Does anyone know how we would communicate with the little guys?
      Chemical reactions? electronic pulses? Has anyone anywhere in the
      world even made a system that has performed a single basic task
      (open, close upon command)?

      What do you think the material of the nanobots will be made of? Has
      their ever been talk of creating something a bit bigger...say cell
      size, to credit the work being undertaken on the smaller scale? I
      read a document of a fictious awards ceremony for a man that was
      supposed to create a replacement blood cell...I read through it and
      it seemed a bit hollow as far as technical specs however the idea did
      seem to bring out a guideline as to where the first steps will be
      taken in the field...is there any company/university that is
      following a similar path just yet?

      What does everyone think of Prof. Smalley's thoughts on the
      improbability of the nanobot idea?

      When is EOC2000 due out?

      I know these posts were probably answered earlier however their are
      over 1200 posts to this group and a bit impossible to go through if
      you are like me and search while 10 minute breaks arise at work.

      Thanks

      Rob

      (p.s.- I am a webpage designer...anyone with a nanotech page will get
      a massive reduction in price if you want one designed/redesigned for
      you. My limited way of "helping the cause"...write to me via hotmail
      for link as I don't spam).
    • Christopher J. Phoenix
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2000
        Good questions... we need a FAQ...

        At 02:14 PM 11/13/00 -0000, Rob wrote:
        > Question 1:
        >Does anyone actually think that we will see a real drexlerian future
        >whereas the, as Richard Smalley called it, silly side of
        >nanotechnology come into fruitation? If so, when about would a
        >estimated 1st generation assembler come to be?

        I think Chris Peterson said: if a prediction of the future sounds like
        science fiction, it's probably wrong... but if it doesn't, it's definitely
        wrong!

        Will drextech be the best way to do nanotech? Who knows. Will it be
        possible? Definitely. When? I'd guess 10-15 years, maybe sooner.

        >Does anyone know how we would communicate with the little guys?
        >Chemical reactions? electronic pulses? Has anyone anywhere in the
        >world even made a system that has performed a single basic task
        >(open, close upon command)?

        Lots of molecular systems that move (microtube motors), grab things
        (interesting enzymes), form shapes (DNA truncated octahedra), make
        electronic connections (buckytubes forming reversible non-volatile one-bit
        memory), forming and breaking covalent bonds (by direct STM intervention)...
        I'm not quite sure what you're looking for.

        >What do you think the material of the nanobots will be made of?

        Carbon is most flexible... for fire resistance, maybe aluminum oxides
        (sapphire). And of course H, N, O, and trace elements... it's like asking
        what material cars are made of. It's an engineering question with a
        complicated answer.

        > Has
        >their ever been talk of creating something a bit bigger...say cell
        >size, to credit the work being undertaken on the smaller scale?

        Sure. Some nanobuilt devices will be quite huge. They'll still be
        atomically precise (though radiation damage will set in almost
        instantly--not a serious problem given the massive redundancy possible). Or
        are you talking about the enabling technologies? There are already MEMS
        SPMs--in fact IBM has made a working memory with one, with impressive bit
        density.

        >read a document of a fictious awards ceremony for a man that was
        >supposed to create a replacement blood cell...I read through it and
        >it seemed a bit hollow as far as technical specs however the idea did
        >seem to bring out a guideline as to where the first steps will be
        >taken in the field...is there any company/university that is
        >following a similar path just yet?

        Was that respirocytes?

        Of course the technical specs will be a bit hollow... how could you describe
        a WWI fighter plane in 1900 technology?

        >What does everyone think of Prof. Smalley's thoughts on the
        >improbability of the nanobot idea?

        Which ideas? I know at one point he was arguing against a
        strawman--specifically the "anything box" that has never been seriously
        proposed. Has he criticized the idea of mostly-carbon robots/factories that
        can copy themselves and build various other useful carbon shapes?

        >When is EOC2000 due out?

        I haven't heard.

        Chris
        --