Re: [Re: [Re: [[nanotech] No, you cant contain an SI]]]

  • angaus@bigfoot.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 1906
      I do agree that you could say that they may be interested in communicating
      with us is reasonable, but as they havn't at this moment I would incline
      towards my standpoint.
      we may be capable soon of faster than light travel, but there would be a huge
      difference in technology between us and a race which developed this a 100,000
      years ago and has been exploring the universe ever since.
      We do broadcast our television programmes into space, would you want to
      interact with Saddam Hussein and Pol Pot or a society capable of letting them
      run around free ?

      Regards

      Alan McDonnell

      Ooo0001@... wrote:

      In a message dated 10/3/00 2:37:06 AM, angaus@... writes:

      << I think that the "where is everybody ?" question is misleading as anyone
      intelligent enough to have faster than light travel has proved a certain
      level
      of intelligence, therefore they would certainly have no interest in
      interacting with us ,(the news of human doings should provide a good basis
      for
      this), when was the last time that humans got so interested in ants they
      decided to live with them ? >>

      Comparing us to ants is a much greater stretch than comparing FTL travellers
      to us (especially considering we already have a conceptually viable means of
      light-speed travel that may see development within 25 years, and even that
      accomplishment doesn't require any greater individual human intelligence than

      we have now). A much more logical comparison would be between us and
      primitive societies. And we certainly have great interest in and fascination
      with primitive societies on several levels. Communication usually becomes a
      major objective (regardless of whether we ultimately intend to study, trade
      with, protect, or subjugate the primitives). So a species capable of light
      travel might very well be interested in communicating with us--at least such
      a supposition is not unreasonable.

      Derek

      <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/ooo0001/">http://members.aol.com/ooo0001</A>

    • server not recognized
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2000
        I think this is a specious arguement and reflects more about your view of
        the human race - perhaps a jaundiced view.

        We regularly observe males fighting for females. Sometimes near to death
        sometimes just a show of feathers. We think it all rather humourous but do
        we intervene ? Of course not. After all it is only over a few minutes of
        copulation. And besides when the dominant male isn't watching the lesser
        mal3e picks up a few at the side anyway.

        So a superior intelligence would be disappointed at human race and easily
        decide not to intervene on the basis that we need to establish ourselves on
        a superior level not be simply lifted to it without making any effort.

        Would the Jews for example accept that the new beings decide that they are
        wrong in their views and beliefs and the Palestinians are entitled fairly
        for all they ask? Imagine replicating this example on every bachyard fence
        issue on the planet. In the end they may be reduced to having to
        exterminate all fundamental Jews. All fundamentalist Christians, all
        catholic Irish, etc. So why would they wish to get involved.