Re: [nanotech] Transtech Map

  • Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 29, 2000
      Pat Gratton wrote:

      > This is not an question of standardizing on terminology - you're talking
      > about a different (though related) concept. When I say "Runaway", what I
      > mean is "runaway", not "unfriendly" or "hostile". I.e., there's no
      > "technically" about it, the military AI that you describe (unlikely though
      > I think it is) would indeed be a Runaway AI, and part of what I'm
      > referring to.
      >
      > Again, it's "runaway", not "hostile". AI that is under control, and does
      > exactly what it was designed to do falls in the AI box. I.e., plain AI is
      > "friendly" AI.

      I am an altruistic human. I am not "under control", I do not "obey orders", I
      make independent plans in pursuit of my purpose; I am nonetheless friendly.
      What if the AI is designed to be free but friendly? (This is not a
      theoretical question - I regard it as the most likely outcome.)

      Let's distinguish between five possible cases:

      1) Asimov AI: Unfree, friendly.
      2) Sysop AI: Free, friendly.
      3) Angry AI: Free, unfriendly.
      4) Berserker AI: Unfree, unfriendly.

      Leaving out the question of which cases represent engineering impossibilities,
      your map would appear to group together {1, 4} and {2, 3} as "the same
      outcome", to be avoided or promoted together. I would regard {1, 2} and {2,
      4} as "the same outcome" from an external perspective. If you really think
      that the internal cognitive architectures should appear on the map, then I
      suggest you make four different squares.

      Alternatively, if by "runaway" you truly intend to connote no hostility, then
      I suggest you replace "runaway AI" with "free AI". "Runaway" has connotations
      of a driverless car careening down a highway.

      -- -- -- -- --
      Eliezer S. Yudkowsky http://singinst.org/
    • Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 9, 2000
        thefirstimmortal@... wrote:

        > Eliezer, you may not concur with the comments, but the effort to
        > infringe upon others First Amendment rights to free speech, and
        > expression is a troubling problem, and I am deeply concerned with
        > this morden day effort to "cut out one's tongue" for unpopular
        > speech.

        I am fully confident in Gina's Miller ability to distinguish between people
        posting opinions she doesn't like, and people posting badly-spelled trolls.
        The First Amendment says you can say whatever you like; it doesn't say that I
        have to print it in my newspaper or my mailing list or my Website. This is
        not a government-owned forum; this is Gina Miller's forum, and it's only
        public to the extent that she says so. If Gina Miller abuses her moderator's
        ability in such fashion that opposing viewpoints can no longer be expressed,
        we all pack up and leave - that, too, is an ancient tradition. That is the
        basis on which moderation occurs and the basis on which the Internet was
        built, and it has a tradition in nanotech extending back to the moderated (and
        high-quality) sci.nanotech newsgroup of the Elder Days of Usenet.

        Eliezer S. Yudkowsky http://singinst.org/