Re: [nanotech] Transtech Map

  • Ed Minchau
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 29, 2000
      On Thu, 28 September 2000, Bryan & Lois Swinney wrote:

      > <tt>
      > Man I really appreciate your sense of humor.  Your treanformational<BR>
      > technologies map just goes to prove that there is no end to the trouble<BR>
      > some people will take to put a joke across.  Only problem, bet not many<BR>
      > people take the time to look at it.<BR>
      > <BR>
      > Bryan (Numbskull) Swinney<BR>
      > <BR>

      The interrelations between these technologies and their consequences is not trivial; on some of these issues, the results could be quite severe. If we don't take a look at the ethical challenges we will face with these new and near-future technologies now, we will surely regret it later. Wouldn't it have been nice if Einstein, Fermi, Oppenheimer and the rest of the Manhattan Project guys had this kind of a resource?

      > <BR>
      > <BR>
      > >I've put together a map of transformational technologies and some<BR>
      > >of their consequences.  If I'm missing an important technology or<BR>
      > >consequence, please let me know.  Map can be found here:<BR>
      > ><BR>
      > >Diagram Notes<BR>
      > >- Green boxes indicate current technology.<BR>
      > >- The connection arrows show only a rough time ordering of technologies.<BR>
      > >  Good arguments can be made for reverse arrows in several cases.  (E.g.,<BR>
      > >  perhaps uploading can be achieved with macro technologies, then lead<BR>
      > >  to AI, and then to nanotechnology.)  In the interest of simplicity,<BR>
      > >  I've left such ambiguities out.<BR>
      > >- Some consequences are mutually exclusive (e.g., Strong Government and<BR>
      > >  Weak Government).<BR>
      > >- I would like to have better terms for some of these technologies.<BR>
      > >  Position neutral suggestions are welcome.<BR>
      > ><BR>

      There are places in the diagram where more arrows could be added, ie rogue AI to nanoweapons and nanoplague.

      I think that a better term (or at least more position-neutral) for Weak government could be Libertarian government.

      :) ed

      Get your own free, private space on the Web at http://www.intranets.com
    • Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 9, 2000
        thefirstimmortal@... wrote:

        > Eliezer, you may not concur with the comments, but the effort to
        > infringe upon others First Amendment rights to free speech, and
        > expression is a troubling problem, and I am deeply concerned with
        > this morden day effort to "cut out one's tongue" for unpopular
        > speech.

        I am fully confident in Gina's Miller ability to distinguish between people
        posting opinions she doesn't like, and people posting badly-spelled trolls.
        The First Amendment says you can say whatever you like; it doesn't say that I
        have to print it in my newspaper or my mailing list or my Website. This is
        not a government-owned forum; this is Gina Miller's forum, and it's only
        public to the extent that she says so. If Gina Miller abuses her moderator's
        ability in such fashion that opposing viewpoints can no longer be expressed,
        we all pack up and leave - that, too, is an ancient tradition. That is the
        basis on which moderation occurs and the basis on which the Internet was
        built, and it has a tradition in nanotech extending back to the moderated (and
        high-quality) sci.nanotech newsgroup of the Elder Days of Usenet.

        Eliezer S. Yudkowsky http://singinst.org/