788Re: The Seventh Web

  • mariet@scruznet.com
    May 6, 2000
      Hi folks,

      I'm new to the list so I just wanted to say hi, nd jump right into
      the conversation.

      --- In nanotech@egroups.com, kxsills@h... wrote:
      > For now I would like to make a short comment on the post by Steve
      > Wishnevsky on the Complexity digest that links some of what is in
      the
      > six web proposal and nanotech. I as I see Mr. Shultz does, suggest
      > there is a seventh web that nanotech makes possible. I call it
      > the "Aerobic Alliance" though that is actually more limited
      > than it
      > has to be.
      >
      > He sees this in just human terms but I propose the transponder
      > tagging of ALL surviving life forms on Earth. The nano-probes
      would
      > go out into the environment in search of all surviving
      multi-cellular
      > species, tag them and then provide telemetry for the purpose of
      > species and individual identification, global location, and health
      > status monitoring. Microbial lifeforms could also be studied and
      > tagged in this manner but I don't for the time being think that
      > it is
      > necessary to tag them except when dealing with rarer forms with
      > potential antibiotic characteristics or endangered species status.
      > Also the nano-probes would have to pass rigorous environmental
      safety
      > precautions and carry some kind of fail-safe programming that would
      > allow recognition of a allergic response on the part of the
      > individual tagged to prevent systemic shock on the part of each
      > subject.

      To what end should we tag all life on the planet? Are just watching
      or
      are we actively interfering with the process of life? If we are going
      to interfere, on what basis, for what reason? If this is simply to
      understand life on the planet, or maybe even record the collect
      genomes for all like on the planet, it might prove an interesting
      project, but I'm wondering why? Just for the sake of knowing?

      > There are some pretty powerful privacy concerns for tagging all
      > individual humans without consent so the politics of this web must
      be
      > addressed before any implementation. Nevertheless chip
      implantation
      > isn't just being used on pets it is already proposed as a means
      > of
      > transponder tagging children for location and protection and this
      > with current technology. The first step in protecting all life is
      > be aware of it.

      So you intend to protect all life? From what? From who? How do we
      preotect herbavores from canivores? Do we protect pathogens and nasty
      or unpleasant species?

      As for taging people, I'm guessing fairly early in the process we'll
      all be networked up and finding an individual is going to be a pretty
      straight forward concept (except for ludites and technophobes who are
      committed to not becoming part of the process.)

      > By the way Charlie, I think we are going for direct neural
      > interfacing with the machine too. Nanobodies will at that time
      > monitor an individual's life signs providing feedback to the
      > organic
      > computers that will be able to augment immune response and other
      > physiological aspects. I expect that nanotech will provide a
      > neurotransmitter sheath that can encase and protect the nervous
      > system while at the same time carry AI augmented information
      through
      > out our bodies. I like to think of it as a modern lizard brain.
      We
      > can use nanobody augmentation for skeletal/motor augmentation too.
      > Do you see where this is going?

      I agree, direct nanowiring to primary neural centers, and long term
      storage of life experience not to mention communication at the level
      of thought should prove to be fascinating.

      > Richard Miller, I agree with your comment about a true war on
      > poverty. That is why I am suggesting that we consider opening up a
      > new frontier, but not without a new concurrent ethic. There must
      be
      > massive global redistribution of populations in order to alleviate
      > existing economic and environmental stresses. But Manifest Destiny
      > must be redefined. I think we could migrate to the ocean en masse
      > sooner that was thought possible through the kinds of physiological
      > augmentation that we are already discussing.
      >
      > Nanobodies can also augment Hemoglobin for oxygenation and
      > maintaining gas equilibrium in the blood and body tissues. A
      > nanoskin similar in concept to what the Navy is using for its
      > submarines could instead provide direct respiration through a
      living
      > skin instead of needing lungs for that purpose. Also they would be
      > shaped into filter plugs for nose and mouth that could omotically
      > convert seawater to fresh for drinking, maintaining the lungs
      against
      > atrophy, acting as lenses for the eyes, providing enhanced
      underwater
      > vision with infrared capability. Ear plugs would also be nano tech
      > and could mimic dolphins and orcas for sonar location and long rang
      > underwater communication ability. These are not genetic
      > modifications to our species but physical augments that provide
      > mechanical adaptation. We would become reverse amphibians needing
      > come back to the atmosphere in order to reproduce.

      I don't think this is going to be quite as simple as you think,
      living
      in an water environment has diverse and complex requirements. It
      might
      require significant biological reengineering for significant numbers
      of people to move back into the ocean.

      How would you manage ocean predation on human beings?
      How would you manage the effects of high pressure on the human body?
      How would you manage gas transfer O2 and CO2?
      How would you manage issues of body heat?
      How would you manage augmenting human function for reasonable
      mobility?
      How would you manage O2 toxicity under high pressure?
      How would you prevent the bends?
      How would you manage issue of bouyancy, spacial perception, and
      our ability to function in a lightless environment?
      What would we eat?
      Where would we live?

      I'm sure these issues are manageable once you can alter matter at
      the nano scale, but there are a whole lot of issues to be managed.
      studiing cetaceans and other water dwelling creature would be
      essential for us to make such a dramatic move.

      Why not reengeneer ourselves as amphibious?

      Or maybe we could rip off cetacean DNA for a hybrid human that
      lives in the ocean easily and elegantly?

      > Oh, and speaking of reproduction, Does anyone else think that there
      > should be a few somewhat draconian restrictions on accessing
      > longevity technology?...

      At first it seems appropriate that once you stop aging and postpone
      death until major trama or gross serendipity, that ZPG practices can
      and should be made part of the price of admission. This of course
      will
      make the Mormons and the Catholics scream, and could mean a complete
      end to those religions as we know them.

      Ultimately the best answer is to migrate ourselves off the planet as
      quickly as humanly possible. Or, migrate ourselves off of protein as
      quickly as possible. Either way, our impact on the planet receeds to
      virtually nothing after only a couple generations.

      Marie
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic