6804Re: [nanotech] Nakaa Nanotechnology Network NNN Nanoscientists Database

  • Erich Knight
    Dec 5 12:28 AM
      Dear Mr. Tawfik
      Reading your efforts I was very excited to share my work in a natural
      nanotechnology for the soil. Biochar or charcoal made specifically for soil
      carbon sequestration, a product of pyrolysis or Gascification of biomass for
      biofuels. The Char conserves the elemental carbon in the porous form of the
      lignin plant cell structure. The microbes & Fungi of the soil food web show
      a synergistic affinity with these carbon structures acelerating moisture &
      nutrient transport and chemicaly siganaled plant communication.

      Carl Sagan's human connection to stardust leaves out a critical stage. We
      are stardust, but only stardust transformed by life. Every time I look at
      the SEMs of Chars, it strikes me, the perfect preservation of the base
      structures of life, a fractal vision, how life creates the greatest surface
      area with the least amount of material. The preservation of this structure,
      for return to the lowest order of life, seems almost a religious act. A
      perfect cradle to cradle recycling, biotic carbon should never be combusted
      and destroyed, be revered, as life is revered, to be returned to the cradle
      of terrestrial life, the Soil.

      At all scales; Industry & Farm, to clean burning cook stoves for
      subsistence farmers the benefits cascade.
      Another significant aspect of low cost Biomass cook stoves, that produce
      char, is removal of BC aerosols and no respiratory disease emissions. At
      Scale, replacing "Three Stone" stoves the health benefits would equal
      eradication of Malaria & Aids combined.
      The Biochar Fund :
      The broad smiles of 1500 subsistence farmers say it all ( that, and the size
      of the Biochar corn root balls )
      http://biocharfund.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=75
      Exceptional results from biochar experiment in Cameroon

      *Global Clean Stove Initiative:*
      100 million clean-burning stoves in kitchens around the world.
      http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2010/09/147494.htm
      *
      WorldStoves in Haiti* ;
      http://www.charcoalproject.org/2010/05/a-man-a-stove-a-mission/

      *

      Agriculture allowed our cultural accent and Agriculture will now prevent our
      descent.*

      Wise Land management; Organic farming and afforestation can build back our
      soil carbon,

      Biochar allows the soil food web to build much more recalcitrant organic
      carbon, ( living biomass & Glomalins) in addition to the carbon in the
      biochar.

      Every 1 ton of Biomass yields 1/3 ton Charcoal for soil Sequestration (= to
      1 Ton CO2e) + Bio-Gas & Bio-oil fuels = to 1MWh exported electricity, so is
      a totally virtuous, carbon negative energy cycle.

      Biochar viewed as soil Infrastructure; The old saw;
      "Feed the Soil Not the Plants" becomes;
      "Feed, Cloth and House the Soil, utilities included !".
      Free Carbon Condominiums with carboxyl group fats in the pantry and hydroxyl
      alcohol in the mini bar.
      Build it and the Wee-Beasties will come.
      Microbes like to sit down when they eat.
      By setting this table we expand husbandry to whole new orders & Kingdoms of
      life.

      Please look at the climate, profit, food security, water saving potential.
      Many projects in the countries your allowing to subscribe to your network
      Country; http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/country
      Organizations; http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/organizations
      Products; http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/materials
      Companies; http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/company

      *N & P CYCLES TOO; *
      Whole systems solutions based on building soil carbon take a while to filter
      through one's mind to see the manifold benefits. The "Eyes Glaze Over"
      microbial complexity, labile verses recalcitrant carbon, Cation Exchange
      Capacity (CEC) etc, all conspire to slow peoples comprehension .

      Once thought through however, the elemental carbon nature of biochar
      understood, soil's reduced GHG emissions and the local economic stimulus
      perceived, then can be added that beyond rectifying the Carbon Cycle,
      biochar systems serve the same healing function for the Nitrogen &
      Phosphorous Cycles, Toxicity in Soils & Sediments and cut the carbon foot
      print of livestock by 1/2 with a 5%Char feed ration.

      The production of fossil fuel free ammonia & char (SynGest,
      http://www.syngest.com/<http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esyngest%2Ecom%2F&urlhash=8hgy>
      )
      and the* 52% conservation of NH3 in composting with chars*, are just the
      newest pathways for the highest value use of the fractionation of biomass.

      I'm sad that you exclude me because of my nationality, global problems
      require global solutions.

      My Dad, a cold warrior, Vietnam battalion commander, gave this short answer
      when asked about *Mutually Assured Destruction or MAD* defense policy,
      *" GIVE ME Liberty or GIVE ME Half-Life "*
      While I envision an offensive policy of* Mutually Assured Sustainability
      (MAS)* in a new "Green Cold War" with China. Based on carbon accountancy,
      the rules are simple; Who ever moves more Carbon from the air to the Soil
      wins, but so does second place, as third and so on.

      Since we have filled the air , filling the seas to full, Soil is the Only
      Beneficial place left.
      Carbon to the Soil, the only ubiquitous and economic place to put it.

      Erich J. Knight
      Chairman; Markets and Business Review Committee
      US BiocharConference, at Iowa State University, June 27-30
      http://www.biorenew.iastate.edu/events/biochar2010/conference-agenda/agenda-overview.html

      EcoTechnologies Group Technical Adviser
      http://www.ecotechnologies.com/index.html
      Shenandoah Gardens (Owner)
      1047 Dave Barry Rd.
      McGaheysville, VA. 22840
      540 289 9750
      Co-Administrator, Biochar Data base & Discussion list
      TP-REPP<http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/?q=node>