6641Re: [nanotech] XPS

  • ranjith kumar
    May 11, 2009
      Zeynep,
      I extensively used XPS during my masters on nanoceria. Ce can present in
      both Ce3+ and Ce4+. I have total of 10 peaks for Cerium (out of which 6 are
      from Ce3+ and 4 are from Ce4+). To find the Ce3+ to Ce4+ ratio, I calculated
      it as a ratio of Area under all the 6 corresponding peaks to Area under 4
      corresponding peaks.
      (All the calculations are based on B.E)

      so I suggest, find what are the oxidation states of the element and then
      which peaks corresponds to which oxidation states. Area under the curve is
      the good representation of how much of that state present in it.

      XPS is a powerful tool to analyze oxidation states.

      Thanks
      Ranjith