1951Re: [nanotech] Re: can nanotech be introduced into our bodies?

  • Eugene Leitl
    Jul 3, 2001
      On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Ed Minchau wrote:

      > The one major nuclear accident in the USSR (Chernobyl) was *not* due

      There have been several nuclear accidents in former USSRs and successor
      states history. In fact the "normal operation" of USSR/successors nuke
      shops can be considered a chronical calamity.

      > to faulty or "primitive" design. It was due to a few drunken
      > engineers pulling all the control rods out of the reactor, to see how
      > much power they could generate before the reactor blew its top...
      > just sober enough to do it, and just drunk enough to not think about
      > the consequences.

      Don't spread false rumours. What happened is that a) they were running an
      experiment b) in low power the reactor behaviour was very unstable, and
      they had to switch off the automatical shutdown to be able to conduct the
      experiment c) the control rods did have a paradoxical effect on
      criticality during early insertion.

      So, IIRC they went into low regime (with automation switched off), and
      starved the reactor. Then then attempted to go higher, but the reactor was
      just sitting there. Then, they suddenly got a monster surge, panicked, and
      manually triggered the emergency rods, which in the early insertion stage
      actually enhanced the criticality.

      The rest is history.

      These things are easy to judge in the retrospective, unfortunately only in
      the retrospective.

      -- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204/">leitl</a>
      ICBMTO : N48 10'07'' E011 33'53'' http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204