1694Re: [nanotech] Re: Quantum Computing

  • Bruce Bombere
    Feb 1, 2001
      Mark Gubrud wrote:
      > No signal has ever been transmitted at a speed greater than the speed of
      > light in vacuum. The experiment you're talking about is no exception. We
      > did discuss this; apparently you were unable to comprehend the discussion.

      Yeah, but. My original semi-tongue in cheek observation was
      regarding computing using "magnetic tunnel junctions."
      Not vacuum. Chandra Bose used dialectrics thusly years ago.

      Superluminal tunneling (faster than light transmission of
      signals) was first observed at the University of Cologne
      with micro-wave photons. Soon thereafter these experiments
      were duplicated and validated at the University of Berkeley
      and Vienna.

      For theoretical physics the implication is that there exist
      spaces devoid of time.

      Prof. Dr. Nimtz present experiment takes it's inspiration
      from an experiment by Jagadis Chandra Bose, an Indian
      physicist born in 1858. Bose's successful public
      demonstration of remote signaling with radio waves in 1895
      predate Marconi's experiments by two years.

      In 1897 Bose carried out experiments with semiconductors at
      frequencies as high as 60 GHz and was in the opinion of Sir
      Neville Mott, Nobel Laureate in 1977, at least 60 years
      ahead of his time.

      The new experiment of Prof. Nimtz explores total internal
      reflection of micro waves inside a dielectric prism, and the
      effect and characteristics of a small air gap between two
      identical prisms.

      One known effect of quantum tunneling is the propagation of
      photons at speeds much faster than light.

      Prof. Nimtz explaining the tunneling effect on the
      dielectric prism. The modulation of the microwave is approx.
      1Ghz. and has a wavelength of 3cm. The gap between the
      prisms is 5cm, and tunneling takes place.

      Prof. Nimtz: "The waves enter on the left and are being
      reflected totally on the first wall. Only when the distance
      between the two prisms is not too great the can signal
      tunnel through the gap. It looks as if this gap here is the
      tunnel barrier.

      When we increase the gap the signal intensity received at
      the other end decreases. This has already been shown by Bose
      in 1897. But the time in which the signal traverses the
      tunnel has not been reliably measured until now."

      Speeds measured on this device exceeded 9x the speed of
      light, within the frame of reference of this tunnel. The
      speed is achieved by the staggered effect of repeated change
      from Perspex to air.

      Perspex to air. Bose 1897 diagram looks like the prism set-up
      that Nimtz uses.

      Anyway, any news of new carbon bonding methods or configurations?
      More unusual carbons? C82 metalo-bonding?

      Shop online without a credit card
      RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic