1036Re: [nanotech] Re: Bill Joy (Japanese)

  • DonSaxman@aol.com
    Aug 10, 2000

      << Gee, let's get really wild. Maybe bacteria and algae could team up, figure
      out how to build a structure that would support them in air, and form a
      synergy that would eat rock. :-) (For those who don't know, I'm talking
      about lichens.) So a Ringworld scenario is possible, where a microorganism
      evolves that eats some material that's crucial to our lifestyle. >>

      I haven't done a trade search on the subject for a long time, but five years
      ago, there were already commercial strains of hazardous waste-treating fungi
      that were combined with surfactant-producing microbes. This was a purposeful
      synergy. My concern was accidential unintended synergies.
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic