1013The end of capitalism? was nanotech Re: Bill Joy (Japanese)

  • Jeffrey.BAUMGARTNER@cec.eu.int
    Aug 8, 2000
      > Second, any exercise of power, even in a non-aggressive manner, is "horrible"
      > to the target, or even to the bystander. If a nano-factory produces cheap
      > manufactured good, what happens to the displaced third world factory worker?
      > If nanites mine metals from seawater, how many countries' economies collapse?

      Why not take this a couple steps further? Let us assume nano-factories can produce any material good, including themselves, by juggling nearby atoms about. A future in which there are trillions of nano-factories ready to produce any material good on command is very conceivable. Moreover, these goods would effectively cost nothing. When anything you could want is free and there is simply no work available for the majority of the world's labour force - the collapse of the global economy and thus capitalism seems the likely outcome.

      Of course, some professional services would still be needed. But I would argue that intelligent people would continue offering such services to prevent boredom, make a mark on the world, learn, etc.

      Jeffrey Baumgartner
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic