NB 3.3 archive problem

  • kn6lw
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 14, 2007
      First bug? :)

      As best as I can tell, it appears individual archives are built of
      all entries regardless of how ENTRY_ARCHIVES is set.
    • kn6lw
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 16, 2007
        --- In nanoblogger@yahoogroups.com, "kn6lw" <kn6lw@...> wrote:

        > First bug? :)
        >
        > As best as I can tell, it appears individual archives are built of
        > all entries regardless of how ENTRY_ARCHIVES is set.

        Oops, I should learn the difference between "individual" and "daily"
        before posting. :) I was confused that the permalinks seemed to
        point to "individual" entries. I see now that this is the expected
        behavior, to have permalinks point to the daily archives rather than
        the monthly archives.

        Is it possible, though, NOT to have to generate daily archives (since
        that is in most cases almost as resource-consuming as generating
        individual archives), but instead to revert to the previous behavior
        of having permalinks point to the entry's monthly archive page?

        Other than that detail, NB 3.3 is looking good. Thanks, Kevin!
      • Kevin W.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 16, 2007
          I can't believe I actually pulled myself back into
          developing this again! :) No, it's not possible to
          disable day archives, but I like your suggestion and
          it only takes a few lines of code to make it possible.
          So, as of now, I have a working version in CVS. And
          since I've been looking at nb more closely I
          discovered a few more bugs that I thought were
          squashed and replaced the slow
          rebuild-the-whole-database-because-somethings-changed
          routine with a more of a direct-access approach.
          Should yield a good speed boost. I'm thinking about
          making a new release already. :)

          Thank you,
          Kevin

          --- kn6lw <kn6lw@...> wrote:

          > --- In nanoblogger@yahoogroups.com, "kn6lw"
          > <kn6lw@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > First bug? :)
          > >
          > > As best as I can tell, it appears individual
          > archives are built of
          > > all entries regardless of how ENTRY_ARCHIVES is
          > set.
          >
          > Oops, I should learn the difference between
          > "individual" and "daily"
          > before posting. :) I was confused that the
          > point to "individual" entries. I see now that this
          > is the expected
          > behavior, to have permalinks point to the daily
          > archives rather than
          > the monthly archives.
          >
          > Is it possible, though, NOT to have to generate
          > daily archives (since
          > that is in most cases almost as resource-consuming
          > as generating
          > individual archives), but instead to revert to the
          > previous behavior
          > of having permalinks point to the entry's monthly
          > archive page?
          >
          > Other than that detail, NB 3.3 is looking good.
          > Thanks, Kevin!

        • Fernando Canizo
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 23, 2007
            Kevin W. wrote:

            > I can't believe I actually pulled myself back into
            > developing this again!

            What does this mean exactly? Is nb abandoned software already?

            > Should yield a good speed boost. I'm thinking about
            > making a new release already. :)

            Nice to hear that, the rebuilding time was something a little annoying,
            I have not many posts in my blog, but each time I see nb running I
            think: "How long will this take when I reach 200 posts?".

            Keep the good work, and pull yourself back to revise nb from time to time ;)

            --
            Fernando Canizo - http://muriandre.homelinux.org/~conan/
          • Kevin W.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 23, 2007
              --- Fernando Canizo <conan@...> wrote:

              > Kevin W. wrote:
              > >

              > > I can't believe I actually pulled myself back into
              > > developing this again!
              >
              > What does this mean exactly? Is nb abandoned
              > software already?

              I was just musing how making a new release tends to
              renew interest in a project for both the developers
              and it's users. It's a phenomenon that's healthy for
              any software project. I actually enjoy working on nb,
              so that remark was just my own twisted attempt at
              sarcasm. So, no worries.

              Thanks,
              Kevin

              Finding fabulous fares is fun.