Newbie question about 'links'

  • B. Cook
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006
      I just found nb and it looks like it would be useful for tech support
      issues for when we visit the servers that we maintain.

      I can't seem to find out how we edit the links category..

      nb -l cat
      ID, Title
      1, NanoBlogger Help

      And from what I can initially tell the index gets rebuilt each time you
      update it.. so how do I add more links to the side bar?

      Also how to change the default page name from index.html to index.htm ?

      grep index.htm blog.conf
      # Set index for URI's (e.g. index.html)
      NB_INDEX="index.htm"

      (this just generates the index.html again)

      nb --version
      NanoBlogger 3.2.3

      Thanks in advance.
    • Robert Lister
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006
        On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 12:53:33PM -0400, B. Cook wrote:
        > I just found nb and it looks like it would be useful for tech support
        > issues for when we visit the servers that we maintain.
        >
        > I can't seem to find out how we edit the links category..
        >
        > nb -l cat
        > ID, Title
        > 1, NanoBlogger Help

        links and categories are two separate unrelated things.

        Blog entries can be added to one or more categories to make separate indexes
        of specific blog entries that mention particular subjects, for example:

        "home, work, computing, holiday, bike, coding, rants, software foo" etc.

        If you can be bothered to add your blog entries to categories, then you will
        get a nice index of each one by category, so somebody browsing your blog
        will be able to see all the blog entries you have made relating to, say,
        everything you have written on what you did on holidays, a particular bit of
        software you maintain, etc.

        So, if you have a bunch of servers you visit, then you could have a category
        for each one, and then add the blog entries into each category as
        appropriate. Unfortunately I have not found the way the categories work very
        intuitive at the moment. It works with the "-c" option to nb:

        -c, --category <ID,cat> specify category (for '--add',
        '--delete', '--edit', '--list',
        '--update', and '--update-cache').

        Depending on the length of the entries, It might be better to use an article
        which update themselves when you add them, these are just template files
        (see ./articles/example.txt)

        Or there's nothing to stop you from setting up an entirely separate "blog"
        for each server.

        > And from what I can initially tell the index gets rebuilt each time you
        > update it.. so how do I add more links to the side bar?

        What appears under "Links" is a static list of links, which on my install,
        appears under ./templates/main_links.htm

        (or whatever you have set in MAINLINKS_TEMPLATE in your nb.conf global
        config, which on my install is in /etc/nanoblogger)

        > Also how to change the default page name from index.html to index.htm ?

        > grep index.htm blog.conf
        > # Set index for URI's (e.g. index.html)
        > NB_INDEX="index.htm"

        You may need to do nb -u main or nb -u all to get it to update.

        Rob

        --
        Robert Lister - email/sip: robl@... - http://www.lentil.org
        tel: 020 7043 7996
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006
          --- "B. Cook" <bcook@...> wrote:

          > I just found nb and it looks like it would be useful
          > for tech support
          > issues for when we visit the servers that we
          > maintain.
          >
          > I can't seem to find out how we edit the links
          > category..
          >
          > nb -l cat
          > ID, Title
          > 1, NanoBlogger Help
          >
          > And from what I can initially tell the index gets
          > rebuilt each time you
          > update it.. so how do I add more links to the side
          > bar?

          add category: nb -c new -a
          delete category: nb -c [ID] -d cat
          change category title: nb -c [ID] -title 'new name' -e
          cat
          list categories: nb -l cat
          list category: nb -c [ID] -l

          > Also how to change the default page name from
          > index.html to index.htm ?
          >
          > grep index.htm blog.conf
          > # Set index for URI's (e.g. index.html)
          > NB_INDEX="index.htm"
          >
          > (this just generates the index.html again)

          Try setting NB_FILETYPE instead (you may have to add
          to your blog.conf)

          Cheers,
          Kevin

          http://mail.yahoo.com