Simple "permalinks"?

  • Pavel@Janik.cz
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2 1:20 PM
      Hi,

      this is feature request/brainstorm question :-)

      Use case: the author of blog will create a really interesting page that is
      to be updated often (even if it is buried in the past) and wants to let
      users to remember that page easily. I do not think that
      http://blog.janik.cz/archives/permalinks/2004-02-26T14_50_04.html is
      easy to remember thus it would be funny to define e.g.

      http://blog.janik.cz/permalink/NewToy

      (it could be symlink if the webserver allows it).

      It is no problem for me to create such links manually, but do you think it
      could be useful feature in general?
      --
      Pavel Janík

      I think Microsoft should say, "You'll get a check from Bill Gates every
      time you find an error."
      -- Prof. Donald Knuth
    • Serge Wroclawski
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2 1:25 PM
        On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 Pavel@... wrote:

        > http://blog.janik.cz/permalink/NewToy
        >
        > (it could be symlink if the webserver allows it).
        >
        > It is no problem for me to create such links manually, but do you think it
        > could be useful feature in general?

        That's what the makepage option is for.

        - Serge Wroclawski
      • Serge Wroclawski
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3 6:30 AM
          I've been poking around and looking at Atom. A number of the problems with
          the RSS feed in Nanoblogger have less to do with Nanoblogger than with
          RSS.

          Has anyone here looked at Atom? I think the work to move from making
          brokenesque RSS feeds to making really nice Atom feeds would be pretty
          trivial.

          Here's an example Atom feed (my LiveJournal Atom feed, in fact):

          http://www.livejournal.com/users/emacsen/data/atom

          - Serge Wroclawski
        • Serge Wroclawski
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3 6:32 AM
            One day maybe someone will write a "Music:" plugin.

            If so, here's five lines of code in Python to grab whatever's playing in
            XMMS:

            import xmms,sys

            if xmms.is_running():
            print xmms.get_playlist_title(0)
            else:
            sys.exit(1)

            - Serge Woclawski
          • Pavel@Janik.cz
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3 10:49 AM
              From: Serge Wroclawski <serge@...>
              Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:25:09 -0500 (EST)

              > That's what the makepage option is for.

              And when I change the original blog entry, do I have to run nb with this
              option again? If it is so, it is not usable for the case I described. This
              must be automated.
              --
              Pavel Janík

              tried it.
              -- Donald Knuth
            • un1xt3r
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3 6:47 PM
                How about using a plugin to automate this?

                The plugin could be called, "articles" (articles.sh). It would work
                by reading a file that contains the list of articles you want to build
                along with it's source file and template. It could even generate a
                template variable that includes a list of links to the articles to
                place in the main_index.htm template. This would be similar to the
                moods.sh plugin that reads data from moods/moods.conf, except it would
                be a regular plugin.

              • Pavel@Janik.cz
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3 9:58 PM
                  From: "un1xt3r" <un1xt3r@...>
                  Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 02:47:09 -0000

                  > How about using a plugin to automate this?
                  >
                  > The plugin could be called, "articles" (articles.sh). It would work
                  > by reading a file that contains the list of articles you want to build
                  > along with it's source file and template. It could even generate a
                  > template variable that includes a list of links to the articles to
                  > place in the main_index.htm template. This would be similar to the
                  > moods.sh plugin that reads data from moods/moods.conf, except it would
                  > be a regular plugin.

                  I think that this is nice idea.
                  --
                  Pavel Janík

                  Congratulations. You have been brainwashed by Dan Bernstein.
                  -- Linus Torvalds in linux-kernel
                • un1xt3r
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 7 9:04 PM
                    Hi,

                    Sorry for the late reply. Atom sounds like something that'd be very
                    worth-while investigating. I hope to have a plugin ready for the 2.8
                    release.

                    Kevin