Bug in rss feeds

  • Serge Wroclawski
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 10, 2003
      I just found a fairly big bug in the RSS code.

      It doesn't appear to escape characters that need to be escaped, such as
      '&'.

      That (believe it or not) crashes lifera, an RSS feed aggregator.

      - Serge
    • un1xt3r
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2003
        --- In nanoblogger@yahoogroups.com, Serge Wroclawski <serge@t...> wrote:
        > I just found a fairly big bug in the RSS code.
        >
        > It doesn't appear to escape characters that need to be escaped, such as
        > '&'.
        >
        > That (believe it or not) crashes lifera, an RSS feed aggregator.
        >
        > - Serge

        I've tried to reproduce this using liferea 0.4.3. I've placed "&" in
        the title and in the body of an entry. I wasn't able to make liferea
        crash, but instead liferea seemed to ignore the "&" (in the title)
        completely.

        However, I'm not sure how big of a bug this is, because other news
        aggregators, like raggle, have no problem with "&" or "&". But, I
        will admit ignorance to the current mess of RSS standards.

        There's no parsing of XML for NanoBlogger's RSS feed, and I've only
        begun to investigate the possibilities of using xlstproc and/or m4 for
        better text-processing.
      • Serge Wroclawski
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 10, 2003
          On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, un1xt3r wrote:

          > I've tried to reproduce this using liferea 0.4.3. I've placed "&" in
          > the title and in the body of an entry. I wasn't able to make liferea
          > crash, but instead liferea seemed to ignore the "&" (in the title)
          > completely.

          The new lifera crashes a lot less often. When I restarted it- it was fine.

          > However, I'm not sure how big of a bug this is, because other news
          > aggregators, like raggle, have no problem with "&" or "&". But, I
          > will admit ignorance to the current mess of RSS standards.

          Me too. I'm not sure if they allow for html or not, for example.

          > There's no parsing of XML for NanoBlogger's RSS feed, and I've only
          > begun to investigate the possibilities of using xlstproc and/or m4 for
          > better text-processing.

          Well you know, if html *isn't* allowed in RSS feeds, it may be time to
          start seeing how feasable something like tags2txt would be to allow for
          HTML transformations. That does break your design goals- which is why it
          might be nice to abstract out a "htmlizer" into a separate program.

          - Serge