cgicomments not finding articles

  • Arjan Berkeljon
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2004
      Hello,

      First of my compliments on this excellent program! I like working in the
      console so this is a great blogging tool for me.

      One problem, I cannot get cgicomments to work.

      The dir structure on my server looks like this:
      -HTML
      -cgi-bin
      -ccadmin.pl
      -cgicomment.conf
      -cgicomment.pl
      -blogs
      -main
      -(standard blog dir)
      -cgicomments
      -users
      -html
      -comments

      in cgicomment.conf I have this set:
      BASEDIR=../cgicomment
      ARTICLEDIR=../blogs/

      Then in my blog.conf I have:
      BLOG_URL_ACTION="http://www.berkeljon.com/cgi-bin/cgicomment.pl?article=main/"
      ENTRY_ARCHIVES="1"

      Then in templates/entry.html and templates/permalin_entry.html I have:

      (If I use $PERMALINKS_DIR like in the docs it doesn't work at all; that
      variable seems to be empty)

      Now the permalinks are fine but the comments aren't. For example with an
      article I have up now the comment link is:
      http://www.berkeljon.com/cgi-bin/cgicomment.pl?article=main/archives/2004-10-11T18_47_38.html

      This page doesn't exist though. In my archives dir I only have
      2004-10.html and when I put in that link I do get a comment page.

      What am I doing wrong?

      Thanks,
      Arjan

      --
      Arjan Berkeljon
      Email: <arjan@...>
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 11, 2004
        Hi Arjan,<a

        Thanks. After I visited your web site, I was able to determine which
        version you were using. Since, you're using the CVS version, the
        documentation should be expected to have issues. That being said, the
        line you're looking for is this:
        <a
        href="$BLOG_URL_ACTION$ARCHIVES_DIR/$permalink_entry#comments">Comments</a>

        and that should appear in both the entry.htm and permalink_entry.htm,
        templates.

        Now, you just need to change ARTICLEDIR in cgicomment.conf to equal:
        "../blogs/main".

        Cheers,
        Kevin

        --- In nanoblogger@yahoogroups.com, Arjan Berkeljon <arjan@b...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > First of my compliments on this excellent program! I like working in the
        > console so this is a great blogging tool for me.
        >
        > One problem, I cannot get cgicomments to work.
        >
        > The dir structure on my server looks like this:
        > -HTML
        > -cgi-bin
        > -ccadmin.pl
        > -cgicomment.conf
        > -cgicomment.pl
        > -blogs
        > -main
        > -(standard blog dir)
        > -cgicomments
        > -users
        > -html
        > -comments
        >
        > in cgicomment.conf I have this set:
        > BASEDIR=../cgicomment
        > ARTICLEDIR=../blo
        gs/

        > Then in my blog.conf I have:

        BLOG_URL_ACTION="http://www.berkeljon.com/cgi-bin/cgicomment.pl?article=main/"
        > ENTRY_ARCHIVES="1"
        >
        > Then in templates/entry.html and templates/permalin_entry.html I have:
        >
        > (If I use $PERMALINKS_DIR like in the docs it doesn't work at all; that
        > variable seems to be empty)
        >
        > Now the permalinks are fine but the comments aren't. For example with an
        > article I have up now the comment link is:

        http://www.berkeljon.com/cgi-bin/cgicomment.pl?article=main/archives/2004-10-11T18_47_38.html

        > This page doesn't exist though. In my archives dir I only have
        > 2004-10.html and when I put in that link I do get a comment page.
        >
        > What am I doing wrong?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Arjan
        >
        > --
        > Arjan Berkeljon
        > Email: <arjan@b...>
        > Web: <http://www.berkeljon.com>
      • Arjan Berkeljon
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 12, 2004
          Hi Kevin,

          Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I'm sorry I didn't
          mention I was using CVS. It works now though.

          What you suggested definitely needed to be changed; what also didn't
          help was that I had forgotten to remove the default
          #ENTRY_ARCHIVES="0" from my blog.conf. So it was set to 1 after I set
          $BLOG_URL_ACTION and then back to 0 further down in the file.

          Ain't that just clever!
          Thanks for your help and keep up the good work.

          Arjan

          --
          Arjan Berkeljon
          Email: <arjan@...>