Re: [nanoblogger] missing style sheets

  • Kevin W.
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2011
      Hi Sharon,

      It's not clear to me how you lost your style sheets.

      1. Are the files themselves missing or is the link to the style sheet no longer resolving properly?
      2. Have you recently upgraded to a newer version of Nanoblogger?

      Thanks,
      Kevin

      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2011
        On 1 May 2011 23:31, Kevin W. <un1xt3r@...> wrote:

        Hi Sharon,

        It's not clear to me how you lost your style sheets.

        1. Are the files themselves missing or is the link to the style sheet no longer resolving properly?

        The css files are still there and the link to the style sheet hasn't changed, but the index.html has all the posts at the top of the page, with all the other gubbins at the bottom of the page instead of at the right hand side.

        2. Have you recently upgraded to a newer version of Nanoblogger?

        No, the only change has been that I've changed operating systems from CentOS to Debian 6. I'm still using nanoblogger 3.2.3 as I haven't heard of a way to upgrade without losing all the original posts.

        Thanks
        Sharon.

        Message 3 of 14 , May 9, 2011
          Sharon,

          I checked your website[1] and was unable to reproduce the problem. Is there another link you could provide?

          Also, this may be a long shot, but where are you hosting the weblog (index.html)? Has it changed with your move to CentOS?

          As far as upgrading is concerned, I would encourage you to backup your old posts and go for it!

          1.  http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html

          Thanks,
          Kevin

          Message 4 of 14 , May 9, 2011
            On 10 May 2011 00:05, Kevin W. <un1xt3r@...> wrote:

            Sharon,

            I checked your website[1] and was unable to reproduce the problem. Is there another link you could provide?

            I was so embarrassed about the state of the index page that i didn't upload it , I can do that now though so you can see what it currently looks like. Right, the 'bad' index page has been uploaded so you can see what I mean.

            Also, this may be a long shot, but where are you hosting the weblog (index.html)? Has it changed with your move to CentOS?

            The index.html remains the same as before, in a programmes, nanoblogger folder.

            As far as upgrading is concerned, I would encourage you to backup your old posts and go for it!

            If I upgrade do I lose all the old posts? Its that that’s stopping me from upgrading.

            Thanks
            Sharon.

            Message 5 of 14 , May 13, 2011
              Sharon,

              Thanks for doing that, you're awesome! Try removing $BLOG_URL from your BLOG_CSS setting in blog.conf.

              It should look more like: BLOG_CSS="styles/mt_clean.css" then regenerate your index page using "-u main".

              I also noticed something funky going on with your articles, but by all means upgrade your copy of NanoBlogger.
              It should be an easy upgrade, but always backup as a precautionary.

              Thanks,
              Kevin

              Message 6 of 14 , May 13, 2011
                On 13 May 2011 23:33, Kevin W. <un1xt3r@...> wrote:

                Sharon,

                Thanks for doing that, you're awesome! Try removing $BLOG_URL from your BLOG_CSS setting in blog.conf.

                It should look more like: BLOG_CSS="styles/mt_clean.css" then regenerate your index page using "-u main".

                The default blog.conf is like this;=
                ===========================
                # Set the URL of your Blog site. e.g. http://www.myweblog.com
                # no trailing forward slash required.
                BLOG_URL="http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/"

                # Set the Blog's Stylesheet.
                #BLOG_CSS="$BLOG_URL/styles/nb_default.css"
                BLOG_CSS="styles/mt_clean.css"
                ===============================

                and the blog blog.conf is like this;=
                ===============================
                # Set the URL of your Blog site. e.g. http://www.myweblog.com
                # no trailing forward slash required.
                BLOG_URL="http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/"

                # Set the Blog's Stylesheet.
                #BLOG_CSS="$BLOG_URL/styles/nb_default.css"
                BLOG_CSS="styles/mt_clean.css"
                ===============================

                and when i run "./nb -u main" only default gets updated, but it still displays the broken index.html page.

                I currently have a 'blog' with articles going back to 2004 and a 'default' going back to 2004 also! Which confuses me too, as i only update and use 'blog'. but both index.html pages show only the broken displays, unfortunately!

                I also noticed something funky going on with your articles, but by all means upgrade your copy of NanoBlogger.
                It should be an easy upgrade, but always backup as a precautionary.

                I'm not going to upgrade until i've got the display of the pages back to as it used to be, then i'll have a go at upgrading.

                Any more ideas please, because i really want to carry on using nanoblogger as i think its great.

                Hopefully thanks :)
                Sharon.
                Thanks,
                Kevin

                Message 7 of 14 , May 13, 2011
                  Following on from this I feel sure that the same problem has occurred
                  in the past, but I cant remember how it was resolved, and neither can
                  i find it in the archives of the group.

                  Can anyone help please?

                  Sharon.

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 25, 2011
                    Sharon,

                    Thanks for hanging in there. Can you double check the BLOG_CSS setting in your blog.conf, it still appears to be pulling from $BLOG_URL.

                    This gave me a new idea! If your blog.conf isn't being loaded correctly, nb may be confused on which path it should use.

                    To test this theory, could you try something like:
                    nb -f path/to/my/weblog/blog.conf -b path/to/my/weblog -u main

                    Also, does nb currently reside in the same directory as your weblog?  Noticed you called nb using './nb' ...
                    If that's true, I might suggest making the following changes to your base install and runtime environment:
                    1. move nanoblogger to it's own directory and adding nb to your PATH. (e.g. PATH=$PATH:$HOME/apps/nanoblogger/nb)
                    2. cd into weblog directory before invoking nb script (e.g. cd path/to/weblog; nb -u main)

                    Thanks,
                    Kevin

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 27, 2011
                      On 26 May 2011 05:01, Kevin W. <un1xt3r@...> wrote:

                      Sharon,

                      Thanks for hanging in there. Can you double check the BLOG_CSS setting in your blog.conf, it still appears to be pulling from $BLOG_URL.

                      This gave me a new idea! If your blog.conf isn't being loaded correctly, nb may be confused on which path it should use.

                      To test this theory, could you try something like:
                      nb -f path/to/my/weblog/blog.conf -b path/to/my/weblog -u main
                      This fails because the blog.conf is in /home/boztu/programmes/nanoblogger-3.2.3/blog/ and not /home/boztu/programmes/nanoblogger-3.2.3/

                      Also, does nb currently reside in the same directory as your weblog?  Noticed you called nb using './nb' ...
                      I have to do that to get the program to run.
                      If that's true, I might suggest making the following changes to your base install and runtime environment:
                      1. move nanoblogger to it's own directory and adding nb to your PATH. (e.g. PATH=$PATH:$HOME/apps/nanoblogger/nb)
                      I'm not sure I understand you here as nanoblogger is already in its own directory at /home/boztu/programmes/nanoblogger-3.2.3/
                      2. cd into weblog directory before invoking nb script (e.g. cd path/to/weblog; nb -u main)
                      I already do this via a bookmark in my konsole .

                      From a puzzled Sharon!

                      Thanks,
                      Kevin

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 27, 2011
                        On 28 May 2011 03:09, Sharon Kimble <skimble04@...> wrote:

                        On 26 May 2011 05:01, Kevin W. <un1xt3r@...> wrote:

                        Sharon,

                        Thanks for hanging in there. Can you double check the BLOG_CSS setting in your blog.conf, it still appears to be pulling from $BLOG_URL.
                        # Set the Blog's Stylesheet.
                        #BLOG_CSS="$BLOG_URL/styles/nb_default.css"
                        BLOG_CSS="styles/mt_clean.css"

                        $BLOG_URL is commented out as the above paste shows

[...]

                        From a puzzled Sharon!

                        Thanks,
                        Kevin

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 27, 2011
                          On Sat, 28 May 2011 03:09:00 +0100
                          Sharon Kimble <skimble04@...> wrote:

                          > > Also, does nb currently reside in the same directory as your weblog?
                          > > Noticed you called nb using './nb' ...
                          > >
                          > I have to do that to get the program to run.

                          OK, then it isn't in your path. To see if the executable foo is in your
                          path, run 'which foo'.

                          > > If that's true, I might suggest making the following changes to
                          > > your base install and runtime environment:
                          > > 1. move nanoblogger to it's own directory and adding nb to your
                          > > PATH. (e.g. PATH=$PATH:$HOME/apps/nanoblogger/nb)
                          > >
                          > I'm not sure I understand you here as nanoblogger is already in its
                          > own directory at /home/boztu/programmes/nanoblogger-3.2.3/

                          Which wouldn't be in your path unless you put it there. So you need:

                          PATH=$PATH:$HOME/programmes/nanoblogger-3.2.3/

                          (Assuming $HOME expands to '/home/boztu'. Run 'echo $HOME' to confirm.)

                          Try it in a konsole session to test it.

                          To make it permanent, add it to one of your bash setup files. E.g.:
                          I used to have the following in /etc/profile:

                          export PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/bin/nanoblogger

                          --

                          Charles Curley /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
                          Looking for fine software \ / Respect for open standards

                          Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0 809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB
                        • Sharon Kimble
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 27, 2011
                            I've now installed nanoblogger with apt-get and nb.conf is in
                            /etc/nanoblogger/nb.conf and nb is now in /usr/bin/nb so i no longer
                            have to use ./nb but instead use nb. I'm still trying to find where
                            the default directory is to place my blog in, and then maybe i cna get
                            it working properly again?

                            Sharon.

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 28, 2011
                              On Sat, 28 May 2011 05:23:05 +0100
                              Sharon Kimble <skimble04@...> wrote:

                              > I've now installed nanoblogger with apt-get and nb.conf is in
                              > /etc/nanoblogger/nb.conf and nb is now in /usr/bin/nb so i no longer
                              > have to use ./nb but instead use nb. I'm still trying to find where
                              > the default directory is to place my blog in, and then maybe i cna get
                              > it working properly again?

                              Ah, that should simplify things.

                              Put the blog anywhere you want. cd into that directory and away you go.

                              I put my web site (including my blog) under ~/public_html so I can use
                              apache on my laptop to preview it before I toss it onto my servers. So I
                              have ~/public_html/crcweb for the site, and the blog is in
                              ~/public_html/crcweb/blog.